Jan 19, 2013, 6:12 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers took part in an engaging matchup on Saturday, but relatively speaking, you couldn’t throw around the term “battle.” The two teams were borderline civil as the Penguins won 3-1 thanks to an empty-netter at the end.
Let’s get to the talking points.
- Marc-Andre Fleury set a record for Pittsburgh Penguins goalie wins with No. 227. Is he already the best netminder in team history, or do you give the edge to Tom barrasso/someone else?
- Ilya Bryzgalov and Fleury both looked more like goalies than sieves on Saturday. Is that a sign that each guy could live up to their pay checks this season?
- Evgeni Malkin had an assist, Claude Giroux scored a goal and Sidney Crosby was held without a point. So, which player ends up with the most and which one scores the least?
- These two teams combined for just 16 penalty minutes today. Huh?
- Considering the condensed schedule and the fact that this was a divisional matchup, could we look back at this win as a pretty significant one for the Penguins?
- Jakub Voracek fired six shots on goals in the game but failed to find the net. Can he justify the Flyers big investment in him?
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 13
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 6
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 13
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 16
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 8
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35