Jan 19, 2013, 6:12 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers took part in an engaging matchup on Saturday, but relatively speaking, you couldn’t throw around the term “battle.” The two teams were borderline civil as the Penguins won 3-1 thanks to an empty-netter at the end.
Let’s get to the talking points.
- Marc-Andre Fleury set a record for Pittsburgh Penguins goalie wins with No. 227. Is he already the best netminder in team history, or do you give the edge to Tom barrasso/someone else?
- Ilya Bryzgalov and Fleury both looked more like goalies than sieves on Saturday. Is that a sign that each guy could live up to their pay checks this season?
- Evgeni Malkin had an assist, Claude Giroux scored a goal and Sidney Crosby was held without a point. So, which player ends up with the most and which one scores the least?
- These two teams combined for just 16 penalty minutes today. Huh?
- Considering the condensed schedule and the fact that this was a divisional matchup, could we look back at this win as a pretty significant one for the Penguins?
- Jakub Voracek fired six shots on goals in the game but failed to find the net. Can he justify the Flyers big investment in him?
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)