Jan 19, 2013, 6:12 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers took part in an engaging matchup on Saturday, but relatively speaking, you couldn’t throw around the term “battle.” The two teams were borderline civil as the Penguins won 3-1 thanks to an empty-netter at the end.
Let’s get to the talking points.
- Marc-Andre Fleury set a record for Pittsburgh Penguins goalie wins with No. 227. Is he already the best netminder in team history, or do you give the edge to Tom barrasso/someone else?
- Ilya Bryzgalov and Fleury both looked more like goalies than sieves on Saturday. Is that a sign that each guy could live up to their pay checks this season?
- Evgeni Malkin had an assist, Claude Giroux scored a goal and Sidney Crosby was held without a point. So, which player ends up with the most and which one scores the least?
- These two teams combined for just 16 penalty minutes today. Huh?
- Considering the condensed schedule and the fact that this was a divisional matchup, could we look back at this win as a pretty significant one for the Penguins?
- Jakub Voracek fired six shots on goals in the game but failed to find the net. Can he justify the Flyers big investment in him?
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)