Jan 19, 2013, 5:56 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings raised their 2012 Stanley Cup banner on Saturday, but the 2010 title winners emphasized that the past is best left up in the rafters. The Chicago Blackhawks stormed to a 3-0 lead and never looked back, ultimately winning 5-2.
Let’s get to the talking points.
- How long should we all wait before we crack open the tired old Stanley Cup hangover storyline?
- Was this game more about the Kings being sloppy or the Blackhawks’ dangerous offensive arsenal?
- Ryan Miller and Tim Thomas were American goalies who stood atop the hockey world after career seasons, only to fall back to Earth dramatically. Could Jonathan Quick be in store for the same?
- Speaking of goalies, Corey Crawford looked solid today. Could he give the Blackhawks adequate starting netminding this season?
- Marian Hossa had a dominant, three-point game on Saturday – the first contest he’s been in since that Raffi Torres hit. Should we expect big things from him this season?
- His big-star teammates mostly had great games, too. So who leads the Chicago Blackhawks in scoring this season: Hossa, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp or someone else?
- Do you expect these two teams to be deep in their division races or battling for one of the bottom playoff spots this season?
Apr 19, 2014, 12:42 PM EDT
A fine may be in his future.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT
He missed Game 2 with an injury.
Apr 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Pulling the goalie with three minutes went over very well.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Holding a lead is hard to do in the playoffs.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:57 AM EDT
“We should have been 5-on-3.”
Apr 19, 2014, 1:29 AM EDT
Ryan Getzlaf, Frederik Andersen and Corey Perry “are winning that battle,” he said.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:56 AM EDT
Eventful last few days for the captain.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
“It was one individual effort that made the difference today.”
Apr 18, 2014, 11:14 PM EDT
Apr 18, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Bolts just needed a spark, he explained.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:27 PM EDT
There was no penalty on the play.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Jimmy Howard had a shutout in the goaltending duel.
Apr 18, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Can Dallas build on its late-game momentum?
Apr 18, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Game 3 will be played in Montreal.
Apr 18, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
Naturally, the Blackhawks-Blues triple-overtime game was very popular.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:51 PM EDT
Detroit was near the bottom of the pack in hits in the regular season.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
They took a 1-0 lead over Tampa Bay in the process.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
“We expected a tough series against (St. Louis).”
Apr 18, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
The rookie had three assists last night.
Apr 18, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
The last of the first round series is about to begin.
- Report: No suspension for Lucic spear of DeKeyser 16
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 5
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 112
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 54
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 17