Discuss: Blackhawks spoil Kings’ party

Jan 19, 2013, 5:56 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES, CA - JANUARY 19: The Los Angeles Kings 2001-12 Stanley Cup banner is raised during a ceremony before the NHL season opening game against the Chicago Blackhawks at Staples Center on January 19, 2013 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images) Getty Images

The Los Angeles Kings raised their 2012 Stanley Cup banner on Saturday, but the 2010 title winners emphasized that the past is best left up in the rafters. The Chicago Blackhawks stormed to a 3-0 lead and never looked back, ultimately winning 5-2.

Let’s get to the talking points.

• How long should we all wait before we crack open the tired old Stanley Cup hangover storyline?
  • Was this game more about the Kings being sloppy or the Blackhawks’ dangerous offensive arsenal?
  • Ryan Miller and Tim Thomas were American goalies who stood atop the hockey world after career seasons, only to fall back to Earth dramatically. Could Jonathan Quick be in store for the same?
  • Speaking of goalies, Corey Crawford looked solid today. Could he give the Blackhawks adequate starting netminding this season?
  • Marian Hossa had a dominant, three-point game on Saturday – the first contest he’s been in since that Raffi Torres hit. Should we expect big things from him this season?
  • His big-star teammates mostly had great games, too. So who leads the Chicago Blackhawks in scoring this season: Hossa, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp or someone else?
  • Do you expect these two teams to be deep in their division races or battling for one of the bottom playoff spots this season?
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. Stiller43 - Jan 19, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Nobody cares about these two teams. Can you get to the pens-flyers article, please?

• pone27 - Jan 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM

GO HAWKS!!!! Big start for to the season, Hossa looked fine and hopefully Crawford can play something close to the way he played this game all season. Hawks looked very good, PP looks promising to be better this season

As for Stiller and his moronic comment, lets get that awesome pens-flyers article, and then listen you both of you fans talk the worst trash talking about 2 rival teams in the league.

Hopefully, you Pens and Flyers fans try to stop ripping on how each of your cities suck, and how one teams fans are so much cooler and smarter than anothers and actually talk about the game. SMH

But ill bite… Flyers fans still sad the HAWKS crushed them and won the cup? Can’t wait to hear what you have to say about the Blackhawks, good luck….

• hrudey - Jan 21, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I think they’re waiting for reaction from the Flyers lifting their Stanley Cup championship banner to the rafters — if they can find someone old enough to remember it!

2. nipomosurfer - Jan 19, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Maybe Stiller43 is an A-H who will watch his team get b-slapped by a West Coast team again in the SCF, but out here on the West Coast, where the CUP resides, I and others like me would LIKE TO WATCH THE KINGS PLAY!!!
    WTF, NBS SPORTS!!! ARE YOU SO EAST COAST ORIENTED THAT YOU THINK WE ONLY WANT TO WATCH 2 PERIODS OF THE LA-KINGS!!! YOU CUT US OFF AND SWITCHED TO PIT-PHILLY!!!
    WTF!!! WTF!!! WTF!!!
    AND FU!!!!

3. letsgopens8771 - Jan 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I did not expect the Hawks to come out and smack the Kings in the mouth like this. I thought the Kane goal was sweet, but Pens-Flyers was more exciting.

4. tradebait9 - Jan 19, 2013 at 6:31 PM

HOOOOSSA !!! HO HO HO HO HOSSA !!!!!

5. Stiller43 - Jan 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM

My point, good hockey men:

This article has 5 comments, 2 of which are related to the pens-flyers, while the pens-flyers article (20 minutes younger) already has 17 comments. I dont mean to insult your rooting preferences, just pointing out there are things MORE people would enjoy talking about.

• shorttracknews - Jan 19, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I could reply Stiller is a tool 15 times if that helps get the comments up…

• jhuck92 - Jan 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Maybe there was more to write for the Pens-Flyers article? Regardless, I don’t think the good people at PHT are going to flat out forget the marquee match-up of the day.

6. Stiller43 - Jan 19, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Shorttack,

Go ahead, the other thread is bumping with actual hockey talk. Whatver makes you feel better, though.

7. surfoside4life - Jan 19, 2013 at 7:30 PM

terrible offensive showing for the kings top lines. looks like their 4tg line is pucking up where they left off. playing physical and scoring goals against the other teams top lines

8. surfoside4life - Jan 19, 2013 at 7:32 PM

4th* picking* stupid texting

9. jhuck92 - Jan 19, 2013 at 7:47 PM

The good news: My Blackhawks won by 3 goals. The bad news: Jonathan Quick was my first overall fantasy pick. I’m not a Kings fan, but I hope to God Quick plays like he did in the playoffs. I guess it was a Pyrrhic victory overall :\

10. proudliberal85392 - Jan 19, 2013 at 9:05 PM

What was up with NBC cutting away to another East Coast game? There are a lot of us out here in the west who don’t care about Pens-Flyers. It’s like the constant feeding of Yankees-Red Sox. I. Don’t. Care.

11. dt58 - Jan 19, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Hawks looked good…pumped we finally got hockey. No one here gives 2 sh!ts about the Pens/Flyers

12. ineedmorehossa - Jan 20, 2013 at 3:12 AM

I need more Hossa

• letsgopens8771 - Jan 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Good to see Hossa back. Now, I am a pens fan and I think Hossa is a prick, but I don’t wish any ill thing on him other than to lose. I always hate seeing headshots, especially in the playoffs, so I like that he has come back and made a statement. ELIMINATE HEADSHOTS!!!!

Good for you, man.

13. LoyalFan34yrsGoKings - Jan 21, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Kings need kopitar back in the lineup. I hope quick Quickly settles back into his game. I wonder.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches