Jan 19, 2013, 5:56 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings raised their 2012 Stanley Cup banner on Saturday, but the 2010 title winners emphasized that the past is best left up in the rafters. The Chicago Blackhawks stormed to a 3-0 lead and never looked back, ultimately winning 5-2.
Let’s get to the talking points.
- How long should we all wait before we crack open the tired old Stanley Cup hangover storyline?
- Was this game more about the Kings being sloppy or the Blackhawks’ dangerous offensive arsenal?
- Ryan Miller and Tim Thomas were American goalies who stood atop the hockey world after career seasons, only to fall back to Earth dramatically. Could Jonathan Quick be in store for the same?
- Speaking of goalies, Corey Crawford looked solid today. Could he give the Blackhawks adequate starting netminding this season?
- Marian Hossa had a dominant, three-point game on Saturday – the first contest he’s been in since that Raffi Torres hit. Should we expect big things from him this season?
- His big-star teammates mostly had great games, too. So who leads the Chicago Blackhawks in scoring this season: Hossa, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp or someone else?
- Do you expect these two teams to be deep in their division races or battling for one of the bottom playoff spots this season?
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)