Jan 19, 2013, 5:56 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings raised their 2012 Stanley Cup banner on Saturday, but the 2010 title winners emphasized that the past is best left up in the rafters. The Chicago Blackhawks stormed to a 3-0 lead and never looked back, ultimately winning 5-2.
Let’s get to the talking points.
- How long should we all wait before we crack open the tired old Stanley Cup hangover storyline?
- Was this game more about the Kings being sloppy or the Blackhawks’ dangerous offensive arsenal?
- Ryan Miller and Tim Thomas were American goalies who stood atop the hockey world after career seasons, only to fall back to Earth dramatically. Could Jonathan Quick be in store for the same?
- Speaking of goalies, Corey Crawford looked solid today. Could he give the Blackhawks adequate starting netminding this season?
- Marian Hossa had a dominant, three-point game on Saturday – the first contest he’s been in since that Raffi Torres hit. Should we expect big things from him this season?
- His big-star teammates mostly had great games, too. So who leads the Chicago Blackhawks in scoring this season: Hossa, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp or someone else?
- Do you expect these two teams to be deep in their division races or battling for one of the bottom playoff spots this season?
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 6
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)