Jan 19, 2013, 8:36 PM EST
When the lockout finally ended, Bruins owner and Board of Governors chairman Jeremy Jacobs publicly apologized for the length of the work stoppage. He also expressed optimism about the NHL, saying that “together our collective future is very bright.”
Jacobs spoke again about the work stoppage prior to the start of the Boston Bruins’ season opener against the New York Rangers and took some shots at the NHLPA in the process.
“There was no expression of a desire to do a deal,” Jacobs said in reference to the union, according to ESPN.
Jacobs was also asked how the lockout could have ended earlier and responded with, “You’d really have to ask the other side on that.”
At the same time, the Bruins owner stated that he was the “last guy” that wanted to shut the NHL down, based on the Boston Globe’s transcript. He also cited the Bruins’ success before saying that his “selfish interest definitely was to keep this going within the parameters of the deal that was out there.”
“But it doesn’t make sense for the league long-term,” Jacobs added. “We have a lot of people that were very tired of this. A lot of people that were promised we would right-size this. I had to play a role in it. From a leadership standpoint, I think I had to play a role. To be vilified, I don’t think is right. But what’s my opinion on something like that?”
Before addressing the media, Jacobs spoke to his players and didn’t feel that there was any animosity.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 10
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 25
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 6
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)