Jan 19, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings can only hope that this is not a sign of things to come.
In their first game without defensemen Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart, the Red Wings suffered a crushing 6-0 loss to the St. Louis Blues.
Not only were they unable to stop the Blues’ attack, but they couldn’t get anything done at the other end of the ice. Jaroslav Halak was only forced to turn aside 14 shots to earn his first shutout of the season.
It didn’t help matters that Detroit ran into penalty troubles throughout the game and were particularly ineffective when it came to special teams. The Blues managed to score four times with the man advantage while Detroit conceded a shorthanded goal after the St. Louis Blues’ David Perron was handed two minutes for hooking.
Red Wings GM Ken Holland seemed to downplay expectations when he conceded that they might not make the playoffs this season. That would end the Red Wings 21 season postseason appearance streak, which is one of the longest in the history of the game.
Really the only good news for Detroit tonight is that this was just Game 1. They still have plenty of time to turn things around. If not, it will be a painful season for Detroit and a new experience for a generation of fans that have grown up during the Red Wings’ extended dynasty.
May 27, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
Chicago endured Anaheim’s comeback attempt to win this one.
May 27, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
The Ducks might have caught a break there.
May 27, 2015, 10:08 PM EDT
He has seven goals in 15 playoff games.
May 27, 2015, 9:46 PM EDT
Chicago scored three goals within four minutes.
May 27, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT
Jordan Weal has been a big part of Manchester’s success.
May 27, 2015, 8:09 PM EDT
Chicago’s mixing things up for this must-win game.
May 27, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
She’s previously been warned that this course could lead to her being found in contempt.
May 27, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Anaheim has a chance to advance to the Stanley Cup Final tonight.
May 27, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT
After just one year in Pittsburgh.
May 27, 2015, 4:43 PM EDT
The ladies sure loved that guy.
May 27, 2015, 4:16 PM EDT
One of the many decisions facing new GM Don Sweeney.
May 27, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Final goes Friday at MSG.
May 27, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
The two men worked together for a season in New Jersey.
May 27, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
Tomas Fleischmann likely on his way out.
May 27, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
“We’re going to be embedded in this community.”
May 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
“I get the fact there were three goals that went in that were ugly. That’s the growth of a young player.”
May 27, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT
Either way, Kimmo Timonen is likely out.
May 27, 2015, 12:39 PM EDT
Rangers forward has had issues with it thus far.
May 27, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT
Former Panthers and Devils coach will take over a team that missed the playoffs for the first time since 2003.
May 27, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Remember when AV called the youngster out?
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 1
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)