Jan 18, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT
After an impressive training camp, Matt Dumba is sticking with the Wild.
That’s the story out of Minnesota on Friday, as the Pioneer Press reports the 18-year-old defenseman — taken seventh overall at the 2012 Entry Draft — will open the year in the NHL and could make his debut on Saturday when the Wild host the Colorado Avalanche.
“It’s pretty crazy,” Dumba said. “It’s an awesome feeling to be here right now.”
The Wild will have five games to decide if Dumba will play out the year in the NHL, or be returned to his junior club in WHL Red Deer. The window for junior-eligible players is usually nine games, but has been reduced this year on account of the shortened schedule.
With defenseman Tom Gilbert nursing a groin injury, Dumba could play on Saturday, though it’s more likely he’ll stick around as the spare until the club’s other injured defensemen — Marco Scandella and Jonas Brodin — are ready to return.
As it stands, Minnesota’s projected defensive pairings for Saturday look like this:
That said, Wild head coach Mike Yeo said nothing’s set in stone and that Dumba’s earned the right to open the year in the NHL.
“He’s earned it,” Yeo said. “He’s been really good up to this point. There’s no guarantees for anything except the next couple days.
“We definitely want to have a chance to, No. 1, reward him, and No. 2, watch him play a little bit more.”
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 0
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 15
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 6
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 89
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (90)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Watch Live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Phelps denies comeback rumors
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas