Jan 18, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
The Crimson look to pull another surprise on NBCSN, this time against an ancient rival in Yale.
No. 12 Yale Bulldogs (9-4-3) vs. Harvard Crimson (5-8-1)
When last we saw Harvard, they were busy coming back from a 5-2 deficit against Boston University to take them down in overtime, 6-5. Now that they’re back into the ECAC schedule where the points are crucial, their high from beating BU went away fast after losing to Dartmouth. Harvard is 1-6-1 in their last eight.
Keith Allain’s Yale club isn’t quite the run-and-gun show we’ve seen in the past, but instead have found a nice balance of offense and defense. In the past, goaltending has hurt them but senior Jeff Malcolm has been steady leading the Bulldogs to a 3-1-2 record in their last six. That loss was a stunning 5-4 decision to Holy Cross in which they were down 5-2 at one point.
NHL prospects to watch
For Yale, the big one to keep an eye on is the team’s leading scorer, junior forward Kenny Agostino. The Penguins prospect has 9 goals and 12 assists on the year and he’s just one goal behind undrafted senior Antoine Laganiere. Others to watch: Gus Young (JR – D – Colorado), Rob O’Gara (FR – D – Boston)
The Crimson’s Alex Fallstrom (SR – F – Boston) now leads the team in points with 10. Team USA WJC gold medalist Jimmy Vesey (FR – F – Nashville) is one guy who can help spark the offense now that he’s back. Undrafted sophomore forward Tommy O’Regan showed he’s got some jump against BU.
Others: Colin Blackwell (SO – F – San Jose), Brian Hart (FR – F – Tampa Bay), Danny Biega (SR – D – Carolina), Patrick McNally (SO – D – Vancouver), Petr Placek (SO – F – Philadelphia)
(Photo: Yale Daily News)
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)