Jan 18, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
The Crimson look to pull another surprise on NBCSN, this time against an ancient rival in Yale.
No. 12 Yale Bulldogs (9-4-3) vs. Harvard Crimson (5-8-1)
When last we saw Harvard, they were busy coming back from a 5-2 deficit against Boston University to take them down in overtime, 6-5. Now that they’re back into the ECAC schedule where the points are crucial, their high from beating BU went away fast after losing to Dartmouth. Harvard is 1-6-1 in their last eight.
Keith Allain’s Yale club isn’t quite the run-and-gun show we’ve seen in the past, but instead have found a nice balance of offense and defense. In the past, goaltending has hurt them but senior Jeff Malcolm has been steady leading the Bulldogs to a 3-1-2 record in their last six. That loss was a stunning 5-4 decision to Holy Cross in which they were down 5-2 at one point.
NHL prospects to watch
For Yale, the big one to keep an eye on is the team’s leading scorer, junior forward Kenny Agostino. The Penguins prospect has 9 goals and 12 assists on the year and he’s just one goal behind undrafted senior Antoine Laganiere. Others to watch: Gus Young (JR – D – Colorado), Rob O’Gara (FR – D – Boston)
The Crimson’s Alex Fallstrom (SR – F – Boston) now leads the team in points with 10. Team USA WJC gold medalist Jimmy Vesey (FR – F – Nashville) is one guy who can help spark the offense now that he’s back. Undrafted sophomore forward Tommy O’Regan showed he’s got some jump against BU.
Others: Colin Blackwell (SO – F – San Jose), Brian Hart (FR – F – Tampa Bay), Danny Biega (SR – D – Carolina), Patrick McNally (SO – D – Vancouver), Petr Placek (SO – F – Philadelphia)
(Photo: Yale Daily News)
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 0
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 2
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)