Jan 18, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
Sven Baertschi got the good news Thursday morning – he was staying in the NHL.
Per the Calgary Sun, the 20-year-old Flames forward was informed of the team’s decision by its head coach, Bob Hartley.
Baertschi made a big splash last March when he was called up to the NHL on an emergency basis. The 13th overall pick in the 2011 draft scored three goals in five games, giving frustrated Flames fans a much-needed shot of optimism.
Baertschi has 18 points (6G, 12A) in 21 games this season with AHL Abbotsford.
“The sky is the limit for Sven,” said Hartley.
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 4
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 14
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28