Jan 18, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
Sven Baertschi got the good news Thursday morning – he was staying in the NHL.
Per the Calgary Sun, the 20-year-old Flames forward was informed of the team’s decision by its head coach, Bob Hartley.
Baertschi made a big splash last March when he was called up to the NHL on an emergency basis. The 13th overall pick in the 2011 draft scored three goals in five games, giving frustrated Flames fans a much-needed shot of optimism.
Baertschi has 18 points (6G, 12A) in 21 games this season with AHL Abbotsford.
“The sky is the limit for Sven,” said Hartley.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11