Jan 18, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
Sven Baertschi got the good news Thursday morning – he was staying in the NHL.
Per the Calgary Sun, the 20-year-old Flames forward was informed of the team’s decision by its head coach, Bob Hartley.
Baertschi made a big splash last March when he was called up to the NHL on an emergency basis. The 13th overall pick in the 2011 draft scored three goals in five games, giving frustrated Flames fans a much-needed shot of optimism.
Baertschi has 18 points (6G, 12A) in 21 games this season with AHL Abbotsford.
“The sky is the limit for Sven,” said Hartley.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 9
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40