Jan 18, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
Sven Baertschi got the good news Thursday morning – he was staying in the NHL.
Per the Calgary Sun, the 20-year-old Flames forward was informed of the team’s decision by its head coach, Bob Hartley.
Baertschi made a big splash last March when he was called up to the NHL on an emergency basis. The 13th overall pick in the 2011 draft scored three goals in five games, giving frustrated Flames fans a much-needed shot of optimism.
Baertschi has 18 points (6G, 12A) in 21 games this season with AHL Abbotsford.
“The sky is the limit for Sven,” said Hartley.
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 0
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 17
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights