Jan 18, 2013, 6:10 PM EST
LeBrun reports that the Devils, San Jose Sharks, Anaheim Ducks and Carolina Hurricanes have inquired about the once-beleaguered center’s services.
Update: the Charlotte News & Observer’s Chip Alexander reports that the Hurricanes aren’t interested.
No doubt about it, Gomez’s last two campaigns have been disastrous at times – particularly last season’s 11 points in 38 games.
Still, he’s not that far removed from being one of the league’s better playmakers. He’s a two-time All-Star with five seasons of 50+ assists, so it makes sense that teams are eager to give him a shot at redemption (especially considering the likelihood of a bargain deal).
A homecoming with the Devils might just make the most sense. The team is ailing offensively with Adam Henrique on the mend and Zach Parise in Minnesota, so the 33-year-old pivot could be quite the asset.
A Devils reunion may also provide the most drama because it gives Gomez the chance to get revenge against his old team. The Montreal Canadiens face New Jersey three times this season, including a Jan. 27 meeting at the Bell Centre.
That could be a highly entertaining evening, regardless of who – Gomez or Habs fans – get the last laugh.
(Note: the Carolina Hurricanes would be another good option in the “revenge” category. They also play against the Canadiens three times this season, with two visits to Montreal.)
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 48
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 20
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32