Jan 18, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
LeBrun reports that the Devils, San Jose Sharks, Anaheim Ducks and Carolina Hurricanes have inquired about the once-beleaguered center’s services.
Update: the Charlotte News & Observer’s Chip Alexander reports that the Hurricanes aren’t interested.
No doubt about it, Gomez’s last two campaigns have been disastrous at times – particularly last season’s 11 points in 38 games.
Still, he’s not that far removed from being one of the league’s better playmakers. He’s a two-time All-Star with five seasons of 50+ assists, so it makes sense that teams are eager to give him a shot at redemption (especially considering the likelihood of a bargain deal).
A homecoming with the Devils might just make the most sense. The team is ailing offensively with Adam Henrique on the mend and Zach Parise in Minnesota, so the 33-year-old pivot could be quite the asset.
A Devils reunion may also provide the most drama because it gives Gomez the chance to get revenge against his old team. The Montreal Canadiens face New Jersey three times this season, including a Jan. 27 meeting at the Bell Centre.
That could be a highly entertaining evening, regardless of who – Gomez or Habs fans – get the last laugh.
(Note: the Carolina Hurricanes would be another good option in the “revenge” category. They also play against the Canadiens three times this season, with two visits to Montreal.)
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 9
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40