Jan 18, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
LeBrun reports that the Devils, San Jose Sharks, Anaheim Ducks and Carolina Hurricanes have inquired about the once-beleaguered center’s services.
Update: the Charlotte News & Observer’s Chip Alexander reports that the Hurricanes aren’t interested.
No doubt about it, Gomez’s last two campaigns have been disastrous at times – particularly last season’s 11 points in 38 games.
Still, he’s not that far removed from being one of the league’s better playmakers. He’s a two-time All-Star with five seasons of 50+ assists, so it makes sense that teams are eager to give him a shot at redemption (especially considering the likelihood of a bargain deal).
A homecoming with the Devils might just make the most sense. The team is ailing offensively with Adam Henrique on the mend and Zach Parise in Minnesota, so the 33-year-old pivot could be quite the asset.
A Devils reunion may also provide the most drama because it gives Gomez the chance to get revenge against his old team. The Montreal Canadiens face New Jersey three times this season, including a Jan. 27 meeting at the Bell Centre.
That could be a highly entertaining evening, regardless of who – Gomez or Habs fans – get the last laugh.
(Note: the Carolina Hurricanes would be another good option in the “revenge” category. They also play against the Canadiens three times this season, with two visits to Montreal.)
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18