Jan 18, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
LeBrun reports that the Devils, San Jose Sharks, Anaheim Ducks and Carolina Hurricanes have inquired about the once-beleaguered center’s services.
Update: the Charlotte News & Observer’s Chip Alexander reports that the Hurricanes aren’t interested.
No doubt about it, Gomez’s last two campaigns have been disastrous at times – particularly last season’s 11 points in 38 games.
Still, he’s not that far removed from being one of the league’s better playmakers. He’s a two-time All-Star with five seasons of 50+ assists, so it makes sense that teams are eager to give him a shot at redemption (especially considering the likelihood of a bargain deal).
A homecoming with the Devils might just make the most sense. The team is ailing offensively with Adam Henrique on the mend and Zach Parise in Minnesota, so the 33-year-old pivot could be quite the asset.
A Devils reunion may also provide the most drama because it gives Gomez the chance to get revenge against his old team. The Montreal Canadiens face New Jersey three times this season, including a Jan. 27 meeting at the Bell Centre.
That could be a highly entertaining evening, regardless of who – Gomez or Habs fans – get the last laugh.
(Note: the Carolina Hurricanes would be another good option in the “revenge” category. They also play against the Canadiens three times this season, with two visits to Montreal.)
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)