Jan 18, 2013, 6:10 PM EST
LeBrun reports that the Devils, San Jose Sharks, Anaheim Ducks and Carolina Hurricanes have inquired about the once-beleaguered center’s services.
Update: the Charlotte News & Observer’s Chip Alexander reports that the Hurricanes aren’t interested.
No doubt about it, Gomez’s last two campaigns have been disastrous at times – particularly last season’s 11 points in 38 games.
Still, he’s not that far removed from being one of the league’s better playmakers. He’s a two-time All-Star with five seasons of 50+ assists, so it makes sense that teams are eager to give him a shot at redemption (especially considering the likelihood of a bargain deal).
A homecoming with the Devils might just make the most sense. The team is ailing offensively with Adam Henrique on the mend and Zach Parise in Minnesota, so the 33-year-old pivot could be quite the asset.
A Devils reunion may also provide the most drama because it gives Gomez the chance to get revenge against his old team. The Montreal Canadiens face New Jersey three times this season, including a Jan. 27 meeting at the Bell Centre.
That could be a highly entertaining evening, regardless of who – Gomez or Habs fans – get the last laugh.
(Note: the Carolina Hurricanes would be another good option in the “revenge” category. They also play against the Canadiens three times this season, with two visits to Montreal.)
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 0
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 18
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 22
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 58