Jan 18, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
Wade Redden will attempt to resurrect his NHL career with the Blues.
One day after being bought out by the Rangers, the 35-year-old has agreed to join St. Louis on a one-year contract with a salary of $800,000 (pro-rated).
“Wade is a solid two-way defenseman,” said Blues GM Doug Armstrong in a release. “We believe his experience will complement and add stability to our defensive core.”
Redden has spent the last two seasons in the AHL, a victim of previous poor play at the NHL level combined with a six-year, $39 million contract he signed in the summer of 2008.
Last season with the Connecticut Whale, he had 20 points (4G, 16A) in 49 games.
Redden was once in the NHL’s upper echelon of defensemen. Drafted second overall in 1995, his best days were in Ottawa where he played 11 seasons from 1996-2008.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 9
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)