Jan 18, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
As they are wont to do, the New York Islanders have claimed a player off waivers.
This time it’s defenseman Brian Strait, formerly of the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Strait has just 12 games of NHL experience, having spent most of his pro career in the AHL. The 24-year-old had no points in 26 games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season. (More of a defensive defenseman, we presume.)
The Islanders have also officially suspended defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky for failing to report. The 36-year-old has said he’ll join the team in a couple of weeks once his son’s health issues are resolved.
Visnovsky was hoping to play the entire season in his native Slovakia with his hometown team Bratislava; however, his request was rejected due to an agreement between the KHL and NHL that says each league must honor the other’s contracts.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)