Jan 18, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
As they are wont to do, the New York Islanders have claimed a player off waivers.
This time it’s defenseman Brian Strait, formerly of the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Strait has just 12 games of NHL experience, having spent most of his pro career in the AHL. The 24-year-old had no points in 26 games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season. (More of a defensive defenseman, we presume.)
The Islanders have also officially suspended defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky for failing to report. The 36-year-old has said he’ll join the team in a couple of weeks once his son’s health issues are resolved.
Visnovsky was hoping to play the entire season in his native Slovakia with his hometown team Bratislava; however, his request was rejected due to an agreement between the KHL and NHL that says each league must honor the other’s contracts.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 11
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 73
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 24
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)