Jan 18, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT
The OC Register’s Eric Stephens points out that Getzlaf told Vancouver media members that the Ducks are his “first option.” The team’s captain has made GM Bob Murray aware of his intentions for quite some time, too.
Both Getzlaf and Perry will be unrestricted free agents, and even with some enticing players such as Jarome Iginla possibly hitting the market, the two power forwards could make the first big splashes of the new CBA.
Much like Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, the duo signed deals with identical cap hits – in their cases, for $5.325 million per year. It’s hard to imagine either player getting inked to a relatively cheap deal like that again; in fact, the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman would expect “enormous” money rolling their way:
You can argue who is better, but that’s irrelevant. It’s all about market forces. If everyone’s allowed to make an offer, the numbers will be enormous. Agents have argued — and some teams agree — that we’re going to have even more contracts in which players earn $10 million in a season. The possibility exists here.
The Ducks have generally been in the NHL’s middle class since transitioning from the Cup-contending days of Chris Pronger and Scott Niedermayer, so the duo’s affordability is a big question.
On the bright side, the franchise should enjoy solid wiggle room; they only have about $34.6 million committed to 13 players in 2013-14, with significant expiring contracts for Getzlaf, Perry, Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu among others.
Time will tell if they can keep Getzlaf in the mix, but he’s at least saying the right things about staying put.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
“We’ve got to wait to see how it heals.”
Sep 22, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
He’s been unable to skate since camp started.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
“You grow up playing hockey and you’re thinking ‘oh, I just want to play the game, it’s so much fun.’ Then you realize it is your job.”
Sep 22, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
But it “shouldn’t be a long-term, lingering thing.”
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Randy Carlyle is making some changes to the way Toronto defends.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Currently there are 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
“I think it’s been terribly mishandled by the player and the agent.”
Sep 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Kurt Overhardt has a warning for the frustrated Blue Jackets management.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“We know he has a great shot and that’s a bonus for him.”
Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
But Peter Karmanos wants to retain control of the team.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
“It’s nice having a little more freedom, in that regard, especially for the creativity that’s on our team,” says Beau Bennett.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
“I think what we’re going to do as a team will be right up his alley.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
He’ll get tougher assignments with Kimmo Timonen sidelined indefinitely.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Colorado is counting on the duo to be very effective this season.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
“But sometimes you have to lose what you have to realize what you had.”
Sep 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Players nursing bumps and bruises as camps wrap.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
“In a perfect world, it would be three.”
Sep 21, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
“He’s thinking usually two or three plays ahead.”
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)