Jan 18, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT
The OC Register’s Eric Stephens points out that Getzlaf told Vancouver media members that the Ducks are his “first option.” The team’s captain has made GM Bob Murray aware of his intentions for quite some time, too.
Both Getzlaf and Perry will be unrestricted free agents, and even with some enticing players such as Jarome Iginla possibly hitting the market, the two power forwards could make the first big splashes of the new CBA.
Much like Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, the duo signed deals with identical cap hits – in their cases, for $5.325 million per year. It’s hard to imagine either player getting inked to a relatively cheap deal like that again; in fact, the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman would expect “enormous” money rolling their way:
You can argue who is better, but that’s irrelevant. It’s all about market forces. If everyone’s allowed to make an offer, the numbers will be enormous. Agents have argued — and some teams agree — that we’re going to have even more contracts in which players earn $10 million in a season. The possibility exists here.
The Ducks have generally been in the NHL’s middle class since transitioning from the Cup-contending days of Chris Pronger and Scott Niedermayer, so the duo’s affordability is a big question.
On the bright side, the franchise should enjoy solid wiggle room; they only have about $34.6 million committed to 13 players in 2013-14, with significant expiring contracts for Getzlaf, Perry, Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu among others.
Time will tell if they can keep Getzlaf in the mix, but he’s at least saying the right things about staying put.
May 24, 2015, 2:05 AM EDT
“Finally got a bounce.”
May 24, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Chicago wins another long overtime game.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
This series heads back to California, all even.
May 24, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Double overtime? Sure, why not?
May 23, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Chicago had the lead. Gave it up. Tied it up again.
May 23, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Trying to get under the opposition’s skin.
May 23, 2015, 9:18 PM EDT
Blackhawks and Ducks going at it.
May 23, 2015, 8:49 PM EDT
But emphasized the need to remain “professional.”
May 23, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
The reaction to the big news continues to pour in.
May 23, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Anaheim can put Chicago on the brink of elimination.
May 23, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
“I have a tremendous amount of respect for Claude.”
May 23, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
He suffered an undisclosed injury in Game 3.
May 23, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Oilers’ prospects Leon Draisaitl and Marc-Olivier Roy were among those who received 10-minute misconducts on Friday night.
May 23, 2015, 3:43 PM EDT
His teammate Vladimir Sobotka is likely staying in Russia.
May 23, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
The Bolts’ starter has allowed five goals in each of his last two starts.
May 23, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
They’ll play alongside Patrick Sharp.
May 23, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
He thought the commissioner was misquoted.
May 23, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A formal announcement could come as early as next week.
May 23, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
He’ll serve as an assistant to GM Don Maloney.
May 23, 2015, 9:43 AM EDT
He would be eligible for this year’s draft, if he doesn’t come to terms by June 1.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)