Jan 18, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT
The OC Register’s Eric Stephens points out that Getzlaf told Vancouver media members that the Ducks are his “first option.” The team’s captain has made GM Bob Murray aware of his intentions for quite some time, too.
Both Getzlaf and Perry will be unrestricted free agents, and even with some enticing players such as Jarome Iginla possibly hitting the market, the two power forwards could make the first big splashes of the new CBA.
Much like Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, the duo signed deals with identical cap hits – in their cases, for $5.325 million per year. It’s hard to imagine either player getting inked to a relatively cheap deal like that again; in fact, the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman would expect “enormous” money rolling their way:
You can argue who is better, but that’s irrelevant. It’s all about market forces. If everyone’s allowed to make an offer, the numbers will be enormous. Agents have argued — and some teams agree — that we’re going to have even more contracts in which players earn $10 million in a season. The possibility exists here.
The Ducks have generally been in the NHL’s middle class since transitioning from the Cup-contending days of Chris Pronger and Scott Niedermayer, so the duo’s affordability is a big question.
On the bright side, the franchise should enjoy solid wiggle room; they only have about $34.6 million committed to 13 players in 2013-14, with significant expiring contracts for Getzlaf, Perry, Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu among others.
Time will tell if they can keep Getzlaf in the mix, but he’s at least saying the right things about staying put.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s also his first point since Jan. 10.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
At least they have Ales Hemsky.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
The Stars say he’ll undergo extensive testing.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Washington carried much of the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff says he’s OK.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We have to keep scoring goals. We have to keep playing this way,” said Adam Henrique.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
He meant he doesn’t want to be traded.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Fire up the comments section!
Mar 10, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
But how does creating a long change in overtime sound?
Mar 10, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Starting tonight in Anaheim.
Mar 10, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
A home game vs. Washington, which will also mark Dustin Penner’s return to Anaheim.
Mar 10, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
“It’s a bad position, I guess.”
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 12
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 21
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 32
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)