Jan 18, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT
The OC Register’s Eric Stephens points out that Getzlaf told Vancouver media members that the Ducks are his “first option.” The team’s captain has made GM Bob Murray aware of his intentions for quite some time, too.
Both Getzlaf and Perry will be unrestricted free agents, and even with some enticing players such as Jarome Iginla possibly hitting the market, the two power forwards could make the first big splashes of the new CBA.
Much like Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, the duo signed deals with identical cap hits – in their cases, for $5.325 million per year. It’s hard to imagine either player getting inked to a relatively cheap deal like that again; in fact, the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman would expect “enormous” money rolling their way:
You can argue who is better, but that’s irrelevant. It’s all about market forces. If everyone’s allowed to make an offer, the numbers will be enormous. Agents have argued — and some teams agree — that we’re going to have even more contracts in which players earn $10 million in a season. The possibility exists here.
The Ducks have generally been in the NHL’s middle class since transitioning from the Cup-contending days of Chris Pronger and Scott Niedermayer, so the duo’s affordability is a big question.
On the bright side, the franchise should enjoy solid wiggle room; they only have about $34.6 million committed to 13 players in 2013-14, with significant expiring contracts for Getzlaf, Perry, Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu among others.
Time will tell if they can keep Getzlaf in the mix, but he’s at least saying the right things about staying put.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)