Jan 18, 2013, 11:29 PM EDT
NHL teams made some final roster decisions on Friday, and in many cases, that meant that some familiar faces didn’t make the cut.
Here’s a roundup of hopefuls on paid tryouts who didn’t manage to stick with squads.
- The New Jersey Devils haven’t signed Mathieu Darche, but the Newark Star-Ledger reports that they’re allowing the pesky winger to continue practicing in hopes of eventually making the grade.
- The Calgary Flames rejected two hopefuls according to the Calgary Sun’s Wes Gilbertson: Steve McCarthy and Brad Winchester. McCarthy is discussing “options” with the Flames, though.
- Colin White couldn’t make it into the St. Louis Blues rotation. He plays a different style, but it still gets the question: should he blame Wade Redden?
- Finally, the Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno reports that Mike Knuble couldn’t make the Detroit Red Wings cut. He’s not ready to finish his career yet, so he’ll play for their AHL affiliate, the Grand Rapids Griffins.
Did any of these players deserve to make those teams? Feel free to discuss prospects who deserved an extended NHL look, too, if you feel the urge.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 28
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)