Jan 18, 2013, 11:29 PM EST
NHL teams made some final roster decisions on Friday, and in many cases, that meant that some familiar faces didn’t make the cut.
Here’s a roundup of hopefuls on paid tryouts who didn’t manage to stick with squads.
- The New Jersey Devils haven’t signed Mathieu Darche, but the Newark Star-Ledger reports that they’re allowing the pesky winger to continue practicing in hopes of eventually making the grade.
- The Calgary Flames rejected two hopefuls according to the Calgary Sun’s Wes Gilbertson: Steve McCarthy and Brad Winchester. McCarthy is discussing “options” with the Flames, though.
- Colin White couldn’t make it into the St. Louis Blues rotation. He plays a different style, but it still gets the question: should he blame Wade Redden?
- Finally, the Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno reports that Mike Knuble couldn’t make the Detroit Red Wings cut. He’s not ready to finish his career yet, so he’ll play for their AHL affiliate, the Grand Rapids Griffins.
Did any of these players deserve to make those teams? Feel free to discuss prospects who deserved an extended NHL look, too, if you feel the urge.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)