Jan 18, 2013, 11:29 PM EST
NHL teams made some final roster decisions on Friday, and in many cases, that meant that some familiar faces didn’t make the cut.
Here’s a roundup of hopefuls on paid tryouts who didn’t manage to stick with squads.
- The New Jersey Devils haven’t signed Mathieu Darche, but the Newark Star-Ledger reports that they’re allowing the pesky winger to continue practicing in hopes of eventually making the grade.
- The Calgary Flames rejected two hopefuls according to the Calgary Sun’s Wes Gilbertson: Steve McCarthy and Brad Winchester. McCarthy is discussing “options” with the Flames, though.
- Colin White couldn’t make it into the St. Louis Blues rotation. He plays a different style, but it still gets the question: should he blame Wade Redden?
- Finally, the Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno reports that Mike Knuble couldn’t make the Detroit Red Wings cut. He’s not ready to finish his career yet, so he’ll play for their AHL affiliate, the Grand Rapids Griffins.
Did any of these players deserve to make those teams? Feel free to discuss prospects who deserved an extended NHL look, too, if you feel the urge.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 15
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)