Jan 18, 2013, 11:29 PM EDT
NHL teams made some final roster decisions on Friday, and in many cases, that meant that some familiar faces didn’t make the cut.
Here’s a roundup of hopefuls on paid tryouts who didn’t manage to stick with squads.
- The New Jersey Devils haven’t signed Mathieu Darche, but the Newark Star-Ledger reports that they’re allowing the pesky winger to continue practicing in hopes of eventually making the grade.
- The Calgary Flames rejected two hopefuls according to the Calgary Sun’s Wes Gilbertson: Steve McCarthy and Brad Winchester. McCarthy is discussing “options” with the Flames, though.
- Colin White couldn’t make it into the St. Louis Blues rotation. He plays a different style, but it still gets the question: should he blame Wade Redden?
- Finally, the Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno reports that Mike Knuble couldn’t make the Detroit Red Wings cut. He’s not ready to finish his career yet, so he’ll play for their AHL affiliate, the Grand Rapids Griffins.
Did any of these players deserve to make those teams? Feel free to discuss prospects who deserved an extended NHL look, too, if you feel the urge.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (145)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)