Jan 18, 2013, 11:29 PM EST
NHL teams made some final roster decisions on Friday, and in many cases, that meant that some familiar faces didn’t make the cut.
Here’s a roundup of hopefuls on paid tryouts who didn’t manage to stick with squads.
- The New Jersey Devils haven’t signed Mathieu Darche, but the Newark Star-Ledger reports that they’re allowing the pesky winger to continue practicing in hopes of eventually making the grade.
- The Calgary Flames rejected two hopefuls according to the Calgary Sun’s Wes Gilbertson: Steve McCarthy and Brad Winchester. McCarthy is discussing “options” with the Flames, though.
- Colin White couldn’t make it into the St. Louis Blues rotation. He plays a different style, but it still gets the question: should he blame Wade Redden?
- Finally, the Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno reports that Mike Knuble couldn’t make the Detroit Red Wings cut. He’s not ready to finish his career yet, so he’ll play for their AHL affiliate, the Grand Rapids Griffins.
Did any of these players deserve to make those teams? Feel free to discuss prospects who deserved an extended NHL look, too, if you feel the urge.
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 0
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)