Jan 18, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
Nobody wanted Tim Connolly for free. Perhaps they’re hoping to get him at a discount?
Per TSN’s Bob McKenzie, Connolly has cleared waivers.
It’s possible the Maple Leafs will try to trade the 31-year-old center while offering to retain part of his salary and cap hit (up to 50 percent, per the new CBA) as an inducement.
For now though, Connolly will report to the AHL Marlies.
Connolly had a disappointing 36 points in 70 games last season; however, he didn’t get near the amount of power-play time in Toronto as he did in Buffalo, where he put up 65 points for the Sabres in 2009-10.
Connolly is in the final year of his contract, with a salary of $4 million and cap hit of $4.75 million.
In other Leafs news, 18-year-old defenseman Morgan Rielly, the fifth overall pick in the 2012 draft, has been sent back to WHL Moose Jaw.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)