Jan 18, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
Nobody wanted Tim Connolly for free. Perhaps they’re hoping to get him at a discount?
Per TSN’s Bob McKenzie, Connolly has cleared waivers.
It’s possible the Maple Leafs will try to trade the 31-year-old center while offering to retain part of his salary and cap hit (up to 50 percent, per the new CBA) as an inducement.
For now though, Connolly will report to the AHL Marlies.
Connolly had a disappointing 36 points in 70 games last season; however, he didn’t get near the amount of power-play time in Toronto as he did in Buffalo, where he put up 65 points for the Sabres in 2009-10.
Connolly is in the final year of his contract, with a salary of $4 million and cap hit of $4.75 million.
In other Leafs news, 18-year-old defenseman Morgan Rielly, the fifth overall pick in the 2012 draft, has been sent back to WHL Moose Jaw.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)