Jan 18, 2013, 10:36 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks made a huge move on Friday, but it involved a key player staying put, not being traded. They locked up big-minute defenseman Alex Edler to a six-year extension worth $30 million (according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun).
The Swede will carry the highest cap hit of any Canucks blueliner at $5 million starting in 2013-14. The team has four additional defensemen set to carry cap hits of at least $4 million apiece after this season, so one cannot help but wonder if Roberto Luongo is just one of the team’s assets possibly heading for an exit.
(Plenty of people believe that Keith Ballard will be bought out.)
Regardless of the potential domino effect, it’s easy to see why the team made Edler’s re-signing a priority.
Despite being just 26, he’s already played in 386 regular season games and has averaged around 24 minutes per contest during the last two seasons. He generated career-highs in goals (11), assists (38), points (49) and shots on goal (228) last season.
One could argue that Edler ranks among the NHL’s most underrated defensemen, but his days of being underpaid are numbered.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 6
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)