Jan 18, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
We’ve already made our Stanley Cup picks. Now here are 20 more predictions from the PHT staff. You never know — a few of them may be correct.
1. Which team will win the Presidents’ Trophy (first overall in the regular season)?
Jason Brough: Boston Bruins. A bunch of B’s were playing in Europe, making a fast start likely.
Mike Halford: New York Rangers. Who should’ve won it last year, but lost three of four to finish the season.
Ryan Dadoun: Boston Bruins. A strong team in a weak division.
Joe Yerdon: Boston Bruins. Good team, bad division.
James O’Brien: Vancouver Canucks. They’ll feast on the Northwest yet again.
2. Which team will finish last overall?
JB: New York Islanders. Glaring weaknesses in all areas.
MH: Columbus Blue Jackets. The Central Division is loaded; they’re going to get slaughtered.
RD: Columbus Blue Jackets. I hate being predictable, but I can’t think of anyone even remotely close to CBJ.
JY: New York Islanders. The rest of their division is a meat grinder and they’re ridiculously young.
JOB: Columbus Blue Jackets. On paper, it doesn’t get much worse.
3. Which team will be the most pleasantly surprising?
JB: Columbus Blue Jackets. Not saying they’ll make the playoffs, but they’ll be better than most of my colleagues think.
MH: Montreal Canadiens. Had quite a few guys playing in Europe, and Andrei Markov is healthy now.
RD: Nashville Predators. Their young defensemen will step up without Ryan Suter.
JY: Buffalo Sabres. Ryan Miller is fresh and Mikhail Grigorenko could be a stud.
JOB: San Jose Sharks. Lowered expectations, but still dangerous.
4. Which team will be the most disappointing?
JB: Detroit Red Wings. Like their general manager, I wouldn’t be shocked if they missed the playoffs.
MH: Florida Panthers. Primed for a letdown after winning the first Southeast Division banner in franchise history.
RD: New Jersey Devils. They lost Parise and I’m not confident in their aging goaltenders, especially after a long break.
JY: Minnesota Wild. Not because they’ll be bad; the bar is just set too high right now.
JOB: Edmonton Oilers. Lots of hype, but can’t keep the puck out of their net.
5. Which player will be the most pleasantly surprising?
MH: Semyon Varlamov. Finished last season strong and posted great numbers in the KHL.
RD: James Reimer. If given a chance, he’ll bounce back nicely.
JOB: Cam Ward. Thanks to Kirk Muller’s system and improved goal support.
6. Which player will be the most disappointing?
JB: Jaromir Jagr. Still don’t know why he picked Dallas. Except I guess for the $4.5 million they gave him.
RD: Ilya Bryzgalov. But I’m sure he’ll continue to give the Daily Show/Colbert Report a run for their money.
JY: Ryan Suter. Expectations are too high given his supporting cast.
JOB: Braden Holtby. Danger of small sample sizes.
8. Will Ilya Bryzgalov be Philadelphia’s starting goalie for the first game of the playoffs?
JB: Yes, and it won’t even be a debate.
MH: Yes, but I could see Michael Leighton getting some action.
RD: Yes, but not because he’ll be great.
JY: Excepting injury, yes, he’ll be the man.
JOB: Yes, but a putrid defense won’t help him silence critics.
9. Who will win the Hart Trophy (most valuable)?
JB: Sidney Crosby
MH: Claude Giroux
RD: Sidney Crosby
JY: Claude Giroux
JOB: Evgeni Malkin
10. Who will win the Art Ross (most points)?
JB: Sidney Crosby
MH: Claude Giroux
RD: Sidney Crosby
JY: Sidney Crosby
JOB: Evgeni Malkin
11. Who will win the Rocket Richard (most goals)?
JB: Steven Stamkos
MH: Steven Stamkos
RD: Rick Nash
JY: Steven Stamkos
JOB: Steven Stamkos
12. Who will win the Vezina (best goalie)?
JB: Jonathan Quick
MH: Tuukka Rask
RD: Henrik Lundqvist
JY: Henrik Lundqvist
JOB: Henrik Lundqvist
13. Who will win the Norris (best defenseman)?
JB: Zdeno Chara
MH: Alex Pietrangelo
RD: Alex Pietrangelo
JY: Shea Weber
JOB: Drew Doughty
14. Who will win the Calder (top rookie)?
JB: Justin Schultz (Edmonton)
MH: Jonathan Huberdeau (Florida)
RD: Nail Yakupov (Edmonton)
JY: Cory Conacher (Tampa Bay)
JOB: Vladimir Tarasenko (St. Louis)
15. Who will win the Jack Adams (top coach)?
JB: Adam Oates (Washington)
MH: Kirk Muller (Carolina)
RD: Barry Trotz (Nashville)
JY: John Tortorella (New York Rangers)
JOB: Barry Trotz (Nashville)
16. Who will be the first coach fired?
JB: Todd McLellan (San Jose)
MH: Joel Quenneville (Chicago)
RD: Mike Yeo (Minnesota)
JY: Joe Sacco (Colorado)
JOB: Jack Capuano (New York Islanders)
17. Of last year’s 16 playoff teams, which one is most likely to miss the postseason?
JB: Florida Panthers. Weren’t very good to begin with, plus lost defenseman Jason Garrison.
MH: Florida Panthers. Injuries and departures will get them off to a slow start, and they won’t recover.
RD: New Jersey Devils. Tough division, no Parise, old goalies.
JY: New Jersey Devils. Brodeur will do his best, but yikes to scoring depth.
JOB: Ottawa Senators. Will regress after overachieving last season.
18. Of last year’s 14 non-playoff teams, which one is most likely to make the postseason?
JB: Buffalo Sabres. Panicked with high expectations last season. No shortage of talent. Tougher now too.
MH: Montreal Canadiens. Michel Therrien has a history of turning bad teams into playoff teams.
RD: Colorado Avalanche. Semyon Varlamov looked good in the KHL, and Matt Duchene should bounce back.
JY: Carolina Hurricanes. East is open enough to make it happen.
JOB: Tampa Bay Lightning. They might even win the Southeast.
19. Will the Minnesota Wild make the playoffs?
JB: Yes. Better roster, worsening competition in West.
MH: Yes. I even think they’ll win the Northwest Division.
RD: No, they’ll fall just short. Next season though…
JY: They’ll just miss out. Next year though? It’s on.
JOB: No, the West is too deep and they’re still too shallow.
20. Will the Toronto Maple Leafs make the playoffs?
JB: No. They’re not very good, and the East has too many strong teams.
MH: No. They’ll finish dead last in the Northeast.
RD: Yes, thanks to stronger goaltending from Reimer.
JY: No, but hey, maybe they can make a run at the top pick in the draft.
JOB: No. Not a good team.
May 18, 2013, 1:47 AM EDT
Boston leads New York 1-0 in the series.
May 18, 2013, 12:45 AM EDT
Oh, the mystery.
May 18, 2013, 12:19 AM EDT
Ottawa has yet to play with the lead in this series.
May 17, 2013, 11:59 PM EDT
Ottawa in a hole.
May 17, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
Pittsburgh now two wins away from advancing to conference final.
May 17, 2013, 11:08 PM EDT
Drastic reduction in ice time in Game 2 compared to Game 1.
May 17, 2013, 10:46 PM EDT
Continue the debate.
May 17, 2013, 10:17 PM EDT
Sid the Kid nets three.
May 17, 2013, 9:49 PM EDT
Ottawa hanging around in the third period.
May 17, 2013, 9:26 PM EDT
Played once in these playoffs.
May 17, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
Pittsburgh up in Game 2, up in the series.
May 17, 2013, 8:07 PM EDT
He’s been out with a broken thumb.
May 17, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
According to Sharks GM Doug Wilson.
May 17, 2013, 7:12 PM EDT
Oh, and Adam Burish has a broken hand.
May 17, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
Shots haven’t been a problem
May 17, 2013, 5:53 PM EDT
Seth Jones, Nathan McKinnon and Jonathan Drouin all on hand.
May 17, 2013, 5:04 PM EDT
Well, that was certainly unexpected.
May 17, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
Both are tall defensemen, but only one is getting kudos for his conditioning.
May 17, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
“He’s trying to do things the right way.”
May 17, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
Marc-Edouard Vlasic would be cool with that probably.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 31
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (80)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness