Jan 17, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
It doesn’t appear that he’s a lock to make the team’s roster right out of training camp, however.
Tortorella told the New York Daily News on Monday that the young forward is still fighting to make the team’s roster, but the most entertainment came in how he described Kreider’s need for defensive improvement.
“It’s part of it, but it’s his whole game,” Tortorella said. “He’s still young, he’s a kid that came in and played some really good games and then was God awful in some games during the playoffs. And that’s what you expect out of a kid. So we want him to work at all parts of his game, and then we’ll see where it goes from there.”
Torts went on to praise his “gift of skating,” so it’s not like he was merely negative about the Boston College alum.
For what it’s worth, Kreider seems to agree that he’s not a sure thing.
“I don’t feel settled,” Kreider said. “I’m not proven, but I feel like I’m pushing myself. I’m not settled. I like that, though.”
Tortorella isn’t known for making it easy on anyone, really, so Kreider should probably get used to the challenge.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 84
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)