Jan 17, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
It doesn’t appear that he’s a lock to make the team’s roster right out of training camp, however.
Tortorella told the New York Daily News on Monday that the young forward is still fighting to make the team’s roster, but the most entertainment came in how he described Kreider’s need for defensive improvement.
“It’s part of it, but it’s his whole game,” Tortorella said. “He’s still young, he’s a kid that came in and played some really good games and then was God awful in some games during the playoffs. And that’s what you expect out of a kid. So we want him to work at all parts of his game, and then we’ll see where it goes from there.”
Torts went on to praise his “gift of skating,” so it’s not like he was merely negative about the Boston College alum.
For what it’s worth, Kreider seems to agree that he’s not a sure thing.
“I don’t feel settled,” Kreider said. “I’m not proven, but I feel like I’m pushing myself. I’m not settled. I like that, though.”
Tortorella isn’t known for making it easy on anyone, really, so Kreider should probably get used to the challenge.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 41
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)