Jan 17, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
It doesn’t appear that he’s a lock to make the team’s roster right out of training camp, however.
Tortorella told the New York Daily News on Monday that the young forward is still fighting to make the team’s roster, but the most entertainment came in how he described Kreider’s need for defensive improvement.
“It’s part of it, but it’s his whole game,” Tortorella said. “He’s still young, he’s a kid that came in and played some really good games and then was God awful in some games during the playoffs. And that’s what you expect out of a kid. So we want him to work at all parts of his game, and then we’ll see where it goes from there.”
Torts went on to praise his “gift of skating,” so it’s not like he was merely negative about the Boston College alum.
For what it’s worth, Kreider seems to agree that he’s not a sure thing.
“I don’t feel settled,” Kreider said. “I’m not proven, but I feel like I’m pushing myself. I’m not settled. I like that, though.”
Tortorella isn’t known for making it easy on anyone, really, so Kreider should probably get used to the challenge.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)