Jan 17, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
The Stars are dipping into their past.
That was the word out of Dallas on Thursday, as the club announced a series of new front office and broadcast gigs — Mike Modano was named Executive Advisor/Alternate Governor, Mark Recchi was added to the hockey operations department and Marty Turco was hired as a broadcast analyst.
Bringing Modano back into the fold is the biggest news.
Stars President Jim Lites hinted last December the club was working on finding Modano the right position within the organization, and now the most recognizable face in franchise history will “work on all initiatives relating to the Dallas Stars Ownership Advisory group, club broadcasts, and corporate partnership endeavors.”
The 42-year-old is Dallas’ franchise leader in almost every statistical category and was elected to the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in October.
Like Modano, Turco also holds a number of Stars records — wins, saves, shutouts — and will rejoin the organization after some time away. The 37-year-old will transition to the broadcast booth after stints in Chicago, Boston and with Red Bull Salzburg of the Austrian league.
Recchi, 44, never played in Dallas but has numerous ties to the organization.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)