Jan 17, 2013, 12:39 PM EST
The Stars are dipping into their past.
That was the word out of Dallas on Thursday, as the club announced a series of new front office and broadcast gigs — Mike Modano was named Executive Advisor/Alternate Governor, Mark Recchi was added to the hockey operations department and Marty Turco was hired as a broadcast analyst.
Bringing Modano back into the fold is the biggest news.
Stars President Jim Lites hinted last December the club was working on finding Modano the right position within the organization, and now the most recognizable face in franchise history will “work on all initiatives relating to the Dallas Stars Ownership Advisory group, club broadcasts, and corporate partnership endeavors.”
The 42-year-old is Dallas’ franchise leader in almost every statistical category and was elected to the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in October.
Like Modano, Turco also holds a number of Stars records — wins, saves, shutouts — and will rejoin the organization after some time away. The 37-year-old will transition to the broadcast booth after stints in Chicago, Boston and with Red Bull Salzburg of the Austrian league.
Recchi, 44, never played in Dallas but has numerous ties to the organization.
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 1
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 27
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 36
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 30
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 55
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (55)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)