Jan 17, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
The Stars are dipping into their past.
That was the word out of Dallas on Thursday, as the club announced a series of new front office and broadcast gigs — Mike Modano was named Executive Advisor/Alternate Governor, Mark Recchi was added to the hockey operations department and Marty Turco was hired as a broadcast analyst.
Bringing Modano back into the fold is the biggest news.
Stars President Jim Lites hinted last December the club was working on finding Modano the right position within the organization, and now the most recognizable face in franchise history will “work on all initiatives relating to the Dallas Stars Ownership Advisory group, club broadcasts, and corporate partnership endeavors.”
The 42-year-old is Dallas’ franchise leader in almost every statistical category and was elected to the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in October.
Like Modano, Turco also holds a number of Stars records — wins, saves, shutouts — and will rejoin the organization after some time away. The 37-year-old will transition to the broadcast booth after stints in Chicago, Boston and with Red Bull Salzburg of the Austrian league.
Recchi, 44, never played in Dallas but has numerous ties to the organization.
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 9
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)