Jan 17, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
The Stars are dipping into their past.
That was the word out of Dallas on Thursday, as the club announced a series of new front office and broadcast gigs — Mike Modano was named Executive Advisor/Alternate Governor, Mark Recchi was added to the hockey operations department and Marty Turco was hired as a broadcast analyst.
Bringing Modano back into the fold is the biggest news.
Stars President Jim Lites hinted last December the club was working on finding Modano the right position within the organization, and now the most recognizable face in franchise history will “work on all initiatives relating to the Dallas Stars Ownership Advisory group, club broadcasts, and corporate partnership endeavors.”
The 42-year-old is Dallas’ franchise leader in almost every statistical category and was elected to the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in October.
Like Modano, Turco also holds a number of Stars records — wins, saves, shutouts — and will rejoin the organization after some time away. The 37-year-old will transition to the broadcast booth after stints in Chicago, Boston and with Red Bull Salzburg of the Austrian league.
Recchi, 44, never played in Dallas but has numerous ties to the organization.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 1
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 26
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)