Jan 17, 2013, 11:26 PM EST
It looks like Danny Briere won’t be available for the season opener due to a hairline wrist fracture. In fact, he might not even start the campaign on the Philadelphia Flyers’ 23-game roster, according to CSN Philly’s sources.
The source suggested that the Flyers will list Briere as “non-roster/injured.” That wouldn’t spare Philadelphia of his $6.5 million annual cap hit, but it would give them an extra spot on their 23-game roster.
That would allow them to keep Tommy Sestito going into Saturday’s contest against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Briere is also expected to miss Sunday’s game against the Buffalo Sabres, but he might be available after that.
Meanwhile, 2012 first-round pick Scott Laughton is projected to be part of the Flyers’ opening game roster.
Laughton has 33 points and 32 penalty minutes in 32 OHL games this season and has impressed Flyers coach Peter Laviolette.
“It’s just been practices for the most part, but the kid can skate well, and make plays. He’s a smart player,” Laviolette said.
Of course, even if he makes the Flyers’ roster, he will have to work hard to stay with the team past the initial trial period.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 9
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 14
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)