Jan 17, 2013, 11:26 PM EDT
It looks like Danny Briere won’t be available for the season opener due to a hairline wrist fracture. In fact, he might not even start the campaign on the Philadelphia Flyers’ 23-game roster, according to CSN Philly’s sources.
The source suggested that the Flyers will list Briere as “non-roster/injured.” That wouldn’t spare Philadelphia of his $6.5 million annual cap hit, but it would give them an extra spot on their 23-game roster.
That would allow them to keep Tommy Sestito going into Saturday’s contest against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Briere is also expected to miss Sunday’s game against the Buffalo Sabres, but he might be available after that.
Meanwhile, 2012 first-round pick Scott Laughton is projected to be part of the Flyers’ opening game roster.
Laughton has 33 points and 32 penalty minutes in 32 OHL games this season and has impressed Flyers coach Peter Laviolette.
“It’s just been practices for the most part, but the kid can skate well, and make plays. He’s a smart player,” Laviolette said.
Of course, even if he makes the Flyers’ roster, he will have to work hard to stay with the team past the initial trial period.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)