Jan 17, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
After years of serving as an incredibly well-paid AHLer, Wade Redden will finally get a shot at redemption for his poor 2009-10 campaign.
It initially looked like the Rangers were simply going to ask Redden to sit out the season so that they could buy out his contract over the summer. However, the NHLPA and NHL reached an agreement which opened the door for the Rangers to buy out the deal before the start of the season.
Redden’s $6.5 million annual cap hit will still be charged to New York this season, but they will be spared it for the 2013-14 campaign.
The 35-year-old defenseman has been great for the most part in the minors, but he wasn’t allowed to play in the AHL during the lockout. He also hasn’t participated in an NHL game since April 11, 2010.
Before signing with the New York Rangers, Redden was able to surpass the 35-point mark in eight consecutive seasons and he had gotten at least 40 points in four separate campaigns.
Updated: TSN and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that Scott Gomez has also been bought out. Gomez came with a $7,357,143 annual cap hit and was signed through 2013-14.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)