Jan 17, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
After years of serving as an incredibly well-paid AHLer, Wade Redden will finally get a shot at redemption for his poor 2009-10 campaign.
It initially looked like the Rangers were simply going to ask Redden to sit out the season so that they could buy out his contract over the summer. However, the NHLPA and NHL reached an agreement which opened the door for the Rangers to buy out the deal before the start of the season.
Redden’s $6.5 million annual cap hit will still be charged to New York this season, but they will be spared it for the 2013-14 campaign.
The 35-year-old defenseman has been great for the most part in the minors, but he wasn’t allowed to play in the AHL during the lockout. He also hasn’t participated in an NHL game since April 11, 2010.
Before signing with the New York Rangers, Redden was able to surpass the 35-point mark in eight consecutive seasons and he had gotten at least 40 points in four separate campaigns.
Updated: TSN and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that Scott Gomez has also been bought out. Gomez came with a $7,357,143 annual cap hit and was signed through 2013-14.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)