Jan 17, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
After years of serving as an incredibly well-paid AHLer, Wade Redden will finally get a shot at redemption for his poor 2009-10 campaign.
It initially looked like the Rangers were simply going to ask Redden to sit out the season so that they could buy out his contract over the summer. However, the NHLPA and NHL reached an agreement which opened the door for the Rangers to buy out the deal before the start of the season.
Redden’s $6.5 million annual cap hit will still be charged to New York this season, but they will be spared it for the 2013-14 campaign.
The 35-year-old defenseman has been great for the most part in the minors, but he wasn’t allowed to play in the AHL during the lockout. He also hasn’t participated in an NHL game since April 11, 2010.
Before signing with the New York Rangers, Redden was able to surpass the 35-point mark in eight consecutive seasons and he had gotten at least 40 points in four separate campaigns.
Updated: TSN and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that Scott Gomez has also been bought out. Gomez came with a $7,357,143 annual cap hit and was signed through 2013-14.
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 2
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 2
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 6
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 38
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 90
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (90)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Watch Live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- LIVE: Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- LIVE: Action from Hangtown Motocross Classic
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators