Jan 17, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
After years of serving as an incredibly well-paid AHLer, Wade Redden will finally get a shot at redemption for his poor 2009-10 campaign.
It initially looked like the Rangers were simply going to ask Redden to sit out the season so that they could buy out his contract over the summer. However, the NHLPA and NHL reached an agreement which opened the door for the Rangers to buy out the deal before the start of the season.
Redden’s $6.5 million annual cap hit will still be charged to New York this season, but they will be spared it for the 2013-14 campaign.
The 35-year-old defenseman has been great for the most part in the minors, but he wasn’t allowed to play in the AHL during the lockout. He also hasn’t participated in an NHL game since April 11, 2010.
Before signing with the New York Rangers, Redden was able to surpass the 35-point mark in eight consecutive seasons and he had gotten at least 40 points in four separate campaigns.
Updated: TSN and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that Scott Gomez has also been bought out. Gomez came with a $7,357,143 annual cap hit and was signed through 2013-14.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)