Jan 17, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
The National Hockey League has issued a formal apology to hockey fans through a series of full-page advertisements in a number of major North American newspapers.
Here’s the full version of the apology, courtesy the Boston Globe:
As your teams prepare for the opening face-off of the 2012-13 season, we thank you for your patience and we apologize to you for the time we missed. From today forward, we will do everything we can to make this season worth the wait.
We are committed to earning back your trust and support the same way it’s earned on the ice: with hard work and unwavering dedication. Your cheers drive us forward, and we’re committed to making you proud to be a fan – by delivering a game with the action, the skill and the intensity you deserve.
Like you, we’ve missed NHL hockey. We’ve missed the clutch goals, the big hits, the electrifying saves. We’ve missed the flash of red light, the sound of the siren and the way the building shakes when the home team scores.
It’s time to focus on the best athletes in the world, on the enduring greatness of the game and – above all – on the connection that binds fans, players and families everywhere. NHL hockey is the best in the world. The future is incredibly bright. So let’s drop the puck and marvel at all the remarkable things the players do with it.
With respect and appreciation,
The National Hockey League.
P.S. We hope you’ll get in on the action. And again, thank you.
This follows in the footsteps of a number of NHL clubs, who reached out and apologized to their respective fans following the end of the lockout.
For more, click here.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
“We’ve got to wait to see how it heals.”
Sep 22, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
He’s been unable to skate since camp started.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
“You grow up playing hockey and you’re thinking ‘oh, I just want to play the game, it’s so much fun.’ Then you realize it is your job.”
Sep 22, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
But it “shouldn’t be a long-term, lingering thing.”
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Randy Carlyle is making some changes to the way Toronto defends.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Currently there are 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
“I think it’s been terribly mishandled by the player and the agent.”
Sep 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Kurt Overhardt has a warning for the frustrated Blue Jackets management.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“We know he has a great shot and that’s a bonus for him.”
Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
But Peter Karmanos wants to retain control of the team.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
“It’s nice having a little more freedom, in that regard, especially for the creativity that’s on our team,” says Beau Bennett.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
“I think what we’re going to do as a team will be right up his alley.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
He’ll get tougher assignments with Kimmo Timonen sidelined indefinitely.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Colorado is counting on the duo to be very effective this season.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
“But sometimes you have to lose what you have to realize what you had.”
Sep 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Players nursing bumps and bruises as camps wrap.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
“In a perfect world, it would be three.”
Sep 21, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
“He’s thinking usually two or three plays ahead.”
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)