Jan 17, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
It’s possible, if not likely, Tim Connolly has worn a Maple Leafs uniform for the last time. The 31-year-old wasn’t at Toronto practice this morning and it’s expected he’ll be placed on waivers.
Connolly, a center, is in the final year of his contract, with a salary of $4 million and cap hit of $4.75 million.
If he isn’t claimed for free, the Leafs could try to trade him while offering to retain part of his salary (up to 50 percent, per the new CBA) as an inducement.
Connolly had a disappointing 36 points in 70 games last season; however, he didn’t get near the amount of power-play time as he received in 2009-10 when he put up 65 points for the Sabres.
The Leafs cut ties with another veteran center yesterday when they traded Matthew Lombardi to Phoenix.
For what it’s worth, the Vancouver Canucks are believed to have requested Kadri as part of a proposed trade for goalie Roberto Luongo.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 10
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 36
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)