Jan 17, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
It’s possible, if not likely, Tim Connolly has worn a Maple Leafs uniform for the last time. The 31-year-old wasn’t at Toronto practice this morning and it’s expected he’ll be placed on waivers.
Connolly, a center, is in the final year of his contract, with a salary of $4 million and cap hit of $4.75 million.
If he isn’t claimed for free, the Leafs could try to trade him while offering to retain part of his salary (up to 50 percent, per the new CBA) as an inducement.
Connolly had a disappointing 36 points in 70 games last season; however, he didn’t get near the amount of power-play time as he received in 2009-10 when he put up 65 points for the Sabres.
The Leafs cut ties with another veteran center yesterday when they traded Matthew Lombardi to Phoenix.
For what it’s worth, the Vancouver Canucks are believed to have requested Kadri as part of a proposed trade for goalie Roberto Luongo.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)