Jan 17, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
Anaheim has signed a trio of veteran NHLers prior to Saturday’s season-opening game in Vancouver.
Defenseman Ryan Parent and wingers Troy Bodie and Jay Rosehill were all signed to one-year, two-way deals on Wednesday, the club announced.
Bodie, 27, has the most experience of the group having appeared in over 100 NHL contests — though he hasn’t played in the bigs since the 2010-11 season, when he suited up for 50 games with the Carolina Hurricanes. He spent last year playing with Anaheim’s AHL affiliate in Syracuse (which has since moved to Norfolk.)
Parent, 25, is a former first-round pick (18th overall, 2005) that has bounced from the Flyers to the Predators to the Canucks organizations over the last three years. Like Bodie, he too hasn’t played in the NHL since 2010-11, spending last season with the Canucks’ AHL affiliate in Chicago.
Rosehill, 27, split last season between the Maple Leafs and the AHL Marlies. He appeared in 31 games with the Leafs, racking up 60 PIM and six fighting majors, including one for this tilt against Boston’s Shawn Thornton:
Of the three signings, Rosehill’s probably the most interesting.
Anaheim’s made a major push to get bigger and tougher this season — in July, the Ducks pair of large-bodied defensemen in Bryan Allen (6-foot-5, 226 pounds) and Sheldon Souray (6-foot-4, 233 pounds) and brought aboard more beef in the form of LW Patrick Maroon (6-4, 225), D Matt Smaby (6-6, 239) and RW Brad Staubitz (30 fights over the last two seasons).
On Tuesday, the team signed enforcer Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond to a two-way deal.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 13
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 7
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 30
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)