Jan 17, 2013, 12:58 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have announced that defenseman Bryce Salvador will become 10th captain in franchise history.
“It’s a tremendous honor,” Salvador said. “I think it’s just a huge compliment for an organization like New Jersey — with the success and the history they have and all the previous captains — for them to select me as the next captain was just an honor.”
Salvador, 36, joined the Devils in 2008 via trade (for Cam Janssen, no less.) The steady rearguard has been a boon for New Jersey ever since, missing just nine games over the last three seasons while racking up 39 points.
In last year’s playoffs, Salvador rose to prominence by notching 4G-10A-14PTS in 24 games, finishing second to Drew Doughty in defensemen scoring.
The Devils rewarded Salvador’s postseason scoring binge with a three-year, $9.5 million extension in July.
Once the club puts needle to sweater, Salvador will join select company as players to wear the “C” for New Jersey, joining Mel Bridgman, Bruce Driver, Patrik Elias, Jamie Langenbrunner, Don Lever, Kirk Muller, Scott Niedermayer, Zach Parise and Scott Stevens.
Stevens is the longest-serving captain in franchise history, with 12 seasons.
It should be noted the club also announced that Elias and Ilya Kovalchuk would retain their alternate statuses for the 2013 season.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 4
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 11
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)