Jan 17, 2013, 12:58 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils have announced that defenseman Bryce Salvador will become 10th captain in franchise history.
“It’s a tremendous honor,” Salvador said. “I think it’s just a huge compliment for an organization like New Jersey — with the success and the history they have and all the previous captains — for them to select me as the next captain was just an honor.”
Salvador, 36, joined the Devils in 2008 via trade (for Cam Janssen, no less.) The steady rearguard has been a boon for New Jersey ever since, missing just nine games over the last three seasons while racking up 39 points.
In last year’s playoffs, Salvador rose to prominence by notching 4G-10A-14PTS in 24 games, finishing second to Drew Doughty in defensemen scoring.
The Devils rewarded Salvador’s postseason scoring binge with a three-year, $9.5 million extension in July.
Once the club puts needle to sweater, Salvador will join select company as players to wear the “C” for New Jersey, joining Mel Bridgman, Bruce Driver, Patrik Elias, Jamie Langenbrunner, Don Lever, Kirk Muller, Scott Niedermayer, Zach Parise and Scott Stevens.
Stevens is the longest-serving captain in franchise history, with 12 seasons.
It should be noted the club also announced that Elias and Ilya Kovalchuk would retain their alternate statuses for the 2013 season.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)