Jan 17, 2013, 12:58 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have announced that defenseman Bryce Salvador will become 10th captain in franchise history.
“It’s a tremendous honor,” Salvador said. “I think it’s just a huge compliment for an organization like New Jersey — with the success and the history they have and all the previous captains — for them to select me as the next captain was just an honor.”
Salvador, 36, joined the Devils in 2008 via trade (for Cam Janssen, no less.) The steady rearguard has been a boon for New Jersey ever since, missing just nine games over the last three seasons while racking up 39 points.
In last year’s playoffs, Salvador rose to prominence by notching 4G-10A-14PTS in 24 games, finishing second to Drew Doughty in defensemen scoring.
The Devils rewarded Salvador’s postseason scoring binge with a three-year, $9.5 million extension in July.
Once the club puts needle to sweater, Salvador will join select company as players to wear the “C” for New Jersey, joining Mel Bridgman, Bruce Driver, Patrik Elias, Jamie Langenbrunner, Don Lever, Kirk Muller, Scott Niedermayer, Zach Parise and Scott Stevens.
Stevens is the longest-serving captain in franchise history, with 12 seasons.
It should be noted the club also announced that Elias and Ilya Kovalchuk would retain their alternate statuses for the 2013 season.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)