Jan 17, 2013, 12:58 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have announced that defenseman Bryce Salvador will become 10th captain in franchise history.
“It’s a tremendous honor,” Salvador said. “I think it’s just a huge compliment for an organization like New Jersey — with the success and the history they have and all the previous captains — for them to select me as the next captain was just an honor.”
Salvador, 36, joined the Devils in 2008 via trade (for Cam Janssen, no less.) The steady rearguard has been a boon for New Jersey ever since, missing just nine games over the last three seasons while racking up 39 points.
In last year’s playoffs, Salvador rose to prominence by notching 4G-10A-14PTS in 24 games, finishing second to Drew Doughty in defensemen scoring.
The Devils rewarded Salvador’s postseason scoring binge with a three-year, $9.5 million extension in July.
Once the club puts needle to sweater, Salvador will join select company as players to wear the “C” for New Jersey, joining Mel Bridgman, Bruce Driver, Patrik Elias, Jamie Langenbrunner, Don Lever, Kirk Muller, Scott Niedermayer, Zach Parise and Scott Stevens.
Stevens is the longest-serving captain in franchise history, with 12 seasons.
It should be noted the club also announced that Elias and Ilya Kovalchuk would retain their alternate statuses for the 2013 season.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (40)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)