Jan 17, 2013, 11:02 PM EDT
If Alex Ovechkin wants to play in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, then he can even if the NHL doesn’t participate.
“If they don’t and Alex still wants to go to the Olympics, I’m going to be honest, I’m going to let him go,” Leonsis said, according to the Washington Post. “I just think it’s kind of a once-in-a-lifetime thing for him to have something played in Russia.
“He’s going to be a torchbearer and it’s very important to him and his family. Who am I to get in the way of him wanting to fulfill that? And I know that’s a slippery slope because if Nick [Backstrom] says then he wants to play for Sweden, we’ll have to cross that bridge when we get to it. But I think that I’m going to lean to the side of the players in that one.”
Leonsis’ statements are nothing new. In fact, he said something very similar in 2009 in a The Hockey News report. Still, with less than 13 months until the start of the games and no commitment from the NHL, it’s noteworthy that Leonsis is strongly standing behind his earlier statements.
Ovechkin told the Post that he’s “proud” to have been selected as one of the torchbearers and plans to participate in the Olympics.
The Winter Games will take place from Feb. 7-23, so if the NHL opts against playing, then Ovechkin would be absent for a key portion of the season.
Leonsis added that the 2014 Olympics was “never brought up, discussed at all during the [labor] negotiations.”
CSNWashington.com has the entire Leonsis Q&A (split into three parts) below:
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 11
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 57
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 80
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional