Jan 17, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
Several NHL clubs have sent their junior-eligible prospects back to the Canadian Hockey League. Here are a few of the more notable assignments:
Jackets drop Jenner
The Columbus Blue Jackets have sent forward Boone Jenner back to OHL Oshawa. Jenner, 19, is currently one of the Ontario League’s top scorers and recently played with Team Canada at the World Junior Championships.
The Jackets selected Jenner in the second round — 37th overall — of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, and many figured Jenner would be in the mix for a roster spot, given he’s skilled enough to play in the top nine and physical enough for a fourth-line energy role.
Instead, he was dropped.
“Tough decision,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards said. “Our goal is to get Boone playing where, career-wise, he’s able to develop and get him up to his maximum level as soon as possible. We’re getting him back where he can play in every situation.”
Isles assign Reinhart, Strome
New York have sent their top picks from 2011 and 2012 — forward Ryan Strome and defenseman Griffin Reinhart — to OHL Niagara and WHL Edmonton, respectively.
The Isles took Strome fifth overall last year and Reinhart fourth overall this year. It seemed unlikely that Reinhart, 18, had a shot to make the club but some figured Strome could be in the mix for a spot given his production in the Ontario League (fourth in scoring with 62 points in 32 games) and his play with Team Canada at the World Juniors (four goals in six games.)
Sens send Noesen, Ceci
Ottawa returned 2011 first-rounder (21st overall) Stefan Noesen and 2012 first-rounder (15th overall) back to OHL Plymouth and Owen Sound, respectively.
Neither were expected to make the team.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
It blows the Kings goaltender’s mind that he’s not talked about more, so let’s discuss him.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He used to have that role with the Calgary Flames.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
They signed him to a one-year deal while fellow breakout rookie Mark Stone got a three-year contract.
Aug 4, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
Jim Benning follows through after calling him a “foundation piece.”
Aug 4, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Assuming of course Bill Foley succeeds in his attempt to bring the NHL to Sin City.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT
Where should we set the bar post-Babcock?
Aug 4, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
That didn’t work out for them.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
Yes, it’s the inevitable, perennial Red Wings question.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
MLBAM will handle NHL.com, Center Ice, Game Center Live and the NHL Network in 2016.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Can Jimmy Howard and Petr Mrazek get it done, collectively?
Aug 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Adding a wealth of experience.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
The skilled Swede may or may not be ready to start the season.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
He’s already made a positive impression on Jeff Blashill.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Mike Babcock’s act is a tough one to follow.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The book has closed on the Mike Babcock era.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?
Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)