Jan 17, 2013, 2:02 PM EST
Several NHL clubs have sent their junior-eligible prospects back to the Canadian Hockey League. Here are a few of the more notable assignments:
Jackets drop Jenner
The Columbus Blue Jackets have sent forward Boone Jenner back to OHL Oshawa. Jenner, 19, is currently one of the Ontario League’s top scorers and recently played with Team Canada at the World Junior Championships.
The Jackets selected Jenner in the second round — 37th overall — of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, and many figured Jenner would be in the mix for a roster spot, given he’s skilled enough to play in the top nine and physical enough for a fourth-line energy role.
Instead, he was dropped.
“Tough decision,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards said. “Our goal is to get Boone playing where, career-wise, he’s able to develop and get him up to his maximum level as soon as possible. We’re getting him back where he can play in every situation.”
Isles assign Reinhart, Strome
New York have sent their top picks from 2011 and 2012 — forward Ryan Strome and defenseman Griffin Reinhart — to OHL Niagara and WHL Edmonton, respectively.
The Isles took Strome fifth overall last year and Reinhart fourth overall this year. It seemed unlikely that Reinhart, 18, had a shot to make the club but some figured Strome could be in the mix for a spot given his production in the Ontario League (fourth in scoring with 62 points in 32 games) and his play with Team Canada at the World Juniors (four goals in six games.)
Sens send Noesen, Ceci
Ottawa returned 2011 first-rounder (21st overall) Stefan Noesen and 2012 first-rounder (15th overall) back to OHL Plymouth and Owen Sound, respectively.
Neither were expected to make the team.
Jan 28, 2015, 8:46 AM EST
Wednesday’s links lean toward a legend.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:45 AM EST
Vancouver has now been shutout in back-to-back home games.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:00 AM EST
Pittsburgh was without Crosby and Malkin.
Jan 28, 2015, 12:15 AM EST
He’s going to need some dental work.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:45 PM EST
Philly erased an early 2-0 deficit to earn two points.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:15 PM EST
Carolina is now 7-1-2 in January.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:45 PM EST
Both players are unrestricted free agents after this season.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:15 PM EST
Okposo missed his first game due to an upper body injury.
Jan 27, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Received a major penalty and a game misconduct for boarding.
Jan 27, 2015, 9:00 PM EST
Happened during the first period tonight in Philly.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EST
The 19-year-old underwent hip surgery in November.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:05 PM EST
The Philly starter allowed two goals on the first four shots.
Jan 27, 2015, 7:35 PM EST
Jim Benning was “exploring” a trade for the goaltender.
Jan 27, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Appeared in 1,260 games.
Jan 27, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
Tampa has won both meetings between the two clubs this season.
Jan 27, 2015, 5:41 PM EST
7:30 p.m. ET, from PNC Arena, on NBCSN.
Jan 27, 2015, 5:06 PM EST
“There’s a potential even to bring him to Arizona for at least a cup of coffee at the end of the year.”
Jan 27, 2015, 4:26 PM EST
For the old barn in Anaheim.
Jan 27, 2015, 3:33 PM EST
He’ll play on the top line with John Tavares and Josh Bailey against the Rangers.
Jan 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EST
Kick off six straight games at Rogers Arena tonight versus Anaheim.
- PHT Morning Skate: Saying goodbye to Martin Brodeur (plus a brutal Sidney Crosby typo) 1
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 49
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 14
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)