Jan 17, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Restricted free agent Jamie Benn would rather not commit to a six-year contract with the Dallas Stars, agent Rich Evans said via TSN’s Bob McKenzie. He’s hoping to sign something in the three-to-five season range.
Evans added that the two sides haven’t come to an agreement on the length or financial terms of the deal yet, according to TSN and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
The Dallas Stars and Benn have mere days to come to terms or Benn will miss the start of the shortened season. The Dallas Stars will hit the ground running with games on Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday.
Benn has surpassed the 20-goal mark in each of his first three NHL campaigns and has taken a step forward every season. He’s become one of the team’s leading players and is arguably the franchise’s most important player given his youth.
The good news for Dallas is that it looks like progress has been made. Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reported that Jamie Benn has reportedly received an offer that would provide him with an average annual salary in the neighborhood of $5.5 million.
That would just be a touch below the $6 million annual cap hits that Edmonton’s Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle agreed to in deals that will take effect in 2013-14 when those players’ entry-level contracts are over.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)