Jan 17, 2013, 7:04 PM EST
Restricted free agent Jamie Benn would rather not commit to a six-year contract with the Dallas Stars, agent Rich Evans said via TSN’s Bob McKenzie. He’s hoping to sign something in the three-to-five season range.
Evans added that the two sides haven’t come to an agreement on the length or financial terms of the deal yet, according to TSN and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
The Dallas Stars and Benn have mere days to come to terms or Benn will miss the start of the shortened season. The Dallas Stars will hit the ground running with games on Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday.
Benn has surpassed the 20-goal mark in each of his first three NHL campaigns and has taken a step forward every season. He’s become one of the team’s leading players and is arguably the franchise’s most important player given his youth.
The good news for Dallas is that it looks like progress has been made. Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reported that Jamie Benn has reportedly received an offer that would provide him with an average annual salary in the neighborhood of $5.5 million.
That would just be a touch below the $6 million annual cap hits that Edmonton’s Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle agreed to in deals that will take effect in 2013-14 when those players’ entry-level contracts are over.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)