Jan 17, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Restricted free agent Jamie Benn would rather not commit to a six-year contract with the Dallas Stars, agent Rich Evans said via TSN’s Bob McKenzie. He’s hoping to sign something in the three-to-five season range.
Evans added that the two sides haven’t come to an agreement on the length or financial terms of the deal yet, according to TSN and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
The Dallas Stars and Benn have mere days to come to terms or Benn will miss the start of the shortened season. The Dallas Stars will hit the ground running with games on Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday.
Benn has surpassed the 20-goal mark in each of his first three NHL campaigns and has taken a step forward every season. He’s become one of the team’s leading players and is arguably the franchise’s most important player given his youth.
The good news for Dallas is that it looks like progress has been made. Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reported that Jamie Benn has reportedly received an offer that would provide him with an average annual salary in the neighborhood of $5.5 million.
That would just be a touch below the $6 million annual cap hits that Edmonton’s Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle agreed to in deals that will take effect in 2013-14 when those players’ entry-level contracts are over.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 47
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)