Jan 17, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Restricted free agent Jamie Benn would rather not commit to a six-year contract with the Dallas Stars, agent Rich Evans said via TSN’s Bob McKenzie. He’s hoping to sign something in the three-to-five season range.
Evans added that the two sides haven’t come to an agreement on the length or financial terms of the deal yet, according to TSN and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
The Dallas Stars and Benn have mere days to come to terms or Benn will miss the start of the shortened season. The Dallas Stars will hit the ground running with games on Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday.
Benn has surpassed the 20-goal mark in each of his first three NHL campaigns and has taken a step forward every season. He’s become one of the team’s leading players and is arguably the franchise’s most important player given his youth.
The good news for Dallas is that it looks like progress has been made. Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reported that Jamie Benn has reportedly received an offer that would provide him with an average annual salary in the neighborhood of $5.5 million.
That would just be a touch below the $6 million annual cap hits that Edmonton’s Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle agreed to in deals that will take effect in 2013-14 when those players’ entry-level contracts are over.
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 0
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 4
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights