Jan 17, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Restricted free agent Jamie Benn would rather not commit to a six-year contract with the Dallas Stars, agent Rich Evans said via TSN’s Bob McKenzie. He’s hoping to sign something in the three-to-five season range.
Evans added that the two sides haven’t come to an agreement on the length or financial terms of the deal yet, according to TSN and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
The Dallas Stars and Benn have mere days to come to terms or Benn will miss the start of the shortened season. The Dallas Stars will hit the ground running with games on Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday.
Benn has surpassed the 20-goal mark in each of his first three NHL campaigns and has taken a step forward every season. He’s become one of the team’s leading players and is arguably the franchise’s most important player given his youth.
The good news for Dallas is that it looks like progress has been made. Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reported that Jamie Benn has reportedly received an offer that would provide him with an average annual salary in the neighborhood of $5.5 million.
That would just be a touch below the $6 million annual cap hits that Edmonton’s Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle agreed to in deals that will take effect in 2013-14 when those players’ entry-level contracts are over.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)