Jan 16, 2013, 8:24 PM EST
Some players just make sense in the desert.
The Phoenix Coyotes re-acquired center Matthew Lombardi via a trade with the Toronto Maple Leafs, TSN’s Darren Dreger reports. In exchange, the Buds gain a conditional draft pick while retaining some of Lombardi’s $3.5 million pro-rated salary.
The specifics about the amount of salary retained are unclear, but the Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle reports that the pick is currently a 2014 fourth-rounder (which can improve if Lombardi hits certain benchmarks).
In the grand scheme of things, the trade opens things up for the Leafs. This could improve Nazem Kadri‘s odds of sticking with the big club while removing an injury-riddled player from the mix.
Meanwhile, the Coyotes add the center they were looking for – and a familiar one in that. GM Don Maloney hasn’t been shy about seeking reunions, bringing back the likes of Radim Vrbata, Derek Morris and Zbynek Michalek in recent years.
Lombardi put up career-bests in Phoenix during the 2009-10 season, scoring 19 goals and 53 points. That made him a hot free agent target in the summer of 2010, but injuries and inconsistency ruined his past two seasons. That was especially true with Nashville in 2010-11; concussions limited him to a pointless two-game stint.
He played in 62 games with Toronto last season, so perhaps he can make the best of things in the final year of his deal with Phoenix. Things went well in his last contract year, after all.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Another small crowd last night at BB&T Center.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)