Jan 16, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
If you ask the right person, Teemu Selanne‘s farewell tour represents one of the biggest reliefs of the lockout’s end. The Finnish Flash seems intent on making the most of his last season, too.
Here’s his reaction to the general consensus that the Anaheim Ducks won’t be a contender, via the OC Register’s Eric Stephens:
“That can’t be the only motivation. But hopefully we’ll get pissed off here,” Selanne said.
Actually, there should be plenty of motivation to go around in Anaheim.
Potential franchise-altering contract years from Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf could push the Ducks to exceed expectations or fall into an awkward rebuild (more on that here). Beyond that, a slow start could force Bobby Ryan to fight off another slew of trade rumors while Jonas Hiller tries to prove last season’s health problems are behind him.
Still, those are individual concerns, so perhaps Bruce Boudreau can utilize this (somewhat cliched?) bulletin board material to inspire the Ducks to overachieve.
At the very least, season predictions encouraged Selanne to provide us with a little bit of salty language.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 6
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 7
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18