Jan 16, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
If you ask the right person, Teemu Selanne‘s farewell tour represents one of the biggest reliefs of the lockout’s end. The Finnish Flash seems intent on making the most of his last season, too.
Here’s his reaction to the general consensus that the Anaheim Ducks won’t be a contender, via the OC Register’s Eric Stephens:
“That can’t be the only motivation. But hopefully we’ll get pissed off here,” Selanne said.
Actually, there should be plenty of motivation to go around in Anaheim.
Potential franchise-altering contract years from Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf could push the Ducks to exceed expectations or fall into an awkward rebuild (more on that here). Beyond that, a slow start could force Bobby Ryan to fight off another slew of trade rumors while Jonas Hiller tries to prove last season’s health problems are behind him.
Still, those are individual concerns, so perhaps Bruce Boudreau can utilize this (somewhat cliched?) bulletin board material to inspire the Ducks to overachieve.
At the very least, season predictions encouraged Selanne to provide us with a little bit of salty language.
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 5
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 35
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12