Jan 16, 2013, 9:04 PM EDT
The 28-year-old forward suffered a groin injury in October while playing in Finland. On the bright side, Panthers assistant GM Mike Santos told Richards that there’s been no word of an impending surgery.
One other silver lining from this situation is that a couple familiar veterans could benefit. Marek Svatos and Alex Kovalev are currently on training camp tryouts, so this news should at least increase their chances.
(Of course, one or more of the team’s many prospects could claim those open spots, too.)
Bergenheim put up an unusual stat line with Florida last season, notching a career-high 17 goals but only collecting six assists for 23 points in 62 games. He’s in the second campaign of a four-year, $11 million deal that expires after the 2014-15 season.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)