Jan 16, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
The 28-year-old forward suffered a groin injury in October while playing in Finland. On the bright side, Panthers assistant GM Mike Santos told Richards that there’s been no word of an impending surgery.
One other silver lining from this situation is that a couple familiar veterans could benefit. Marek Svatos and Alex Kovalev are currently on training camp tryouts, so this news should at least increase their chances.
(Of course, one or more of the team’s many prospects could claim those open spots, too.)
Bergenheim put up an unusual stat line with Florida last season, notching a career-high 17 goals but only collecting six assists for 23 points in 62 games. He’s in the second campaign of a four-year, $11 million deal that expires after the 2014-15 season.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 0
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (81)