Jan 16, 2013, 9:04 PM EDT
The 28-year-old forward suffered a groin injury in October while playing in Finland. On the bright side, Panthers assistant GM Mike Santos told Richards that there’s been no word of an impending surgery.
One other silver lining from this situation is that a couple familiar veterans could benefit. Marek Svatos and Alex Kovalev are currently on training camp tryouts, so this news should at least increase their chances.
(Of course, one or more of the team’s many prospects could claim those open spots, too.)
Bergenheim put up an unusual stat line with Florida last season, notching a career-high 17 goals but only collecting six assists for 23 points in 62 games. He’s in the second campaign of a four-year, $11 million deal that expires after the 2014-15 season.
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12