Jan 16, 2013, 9:04 PM EDT
The 28-year-old forward suffered a groin injury in October while playing in Finland. On the bright side, Panthers assistant GM Mike Santos told Richards that there’s been no word of an impending surgery.
One other silver lining from this situation is that a couple familiar veterans could benefit. Marek Svatos and Alex Kovalev are currently on training camp tryouts, so this news should at least increase their chances.
(Of course, one or more of the team’s many prospects could claim those open spots, too.)
Bergenheim put up an unusual stat line with Florida last season, notching a career-high 17 goals but only collecting six assists for 23 points in 62 games. He’s in the second campaign of a four-year, $11 million deal that expires after the 2014-15 season.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32