Jan 16, 2013, 9:04 PM EDT
The 28-year-old forward suffered a groin injury in October while playing in Finland. On the bright side, Panthers assistant GM Mike Santos told Richards that there’s been no word of an impending surgery.
One other silver lining from this situation is that a couple familiar veterans could benefit. Marek Svatos and Alex Kovalev are currently on training camp tryouts, so this news should at least increase their chances.
(Of course, one or more of the team’s many prospects could claim those open spots, too.)
Bergenheim put up an unusual stat line with Florida last season, notching a career-high 17 goals but only collecting six assists for 23 points in 62 games. He’s in the second campaign of a four-year, $11 million deal that expires after the 2014-15 season.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)