Jan 16, 2013, 10:49 AM EST
Given this season will be an abbreviated one — player contracts are prorated, the schedule is condensed, etc. — the Phoenix Coyotes figured they might as well kick the tires on shortening Raffi Torres‘ suspension.
Turns out they weren’t kicking for long.
That was the word on Tuesday night as Dan Tencer of Edmonton’s 630 CHED radio spoke with Phoenix assistant GM Brad Treviling:
Coyotes appealed to NHL to reduce Raffi Torres’ suspension due to short season. No go. “It was a short conversation” says AGM Brad Treliving
— Dan Tencer (@dantencer) January 16, 2013
Shortly thereafter, the Chicago Tribune reached out to NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly, who confirmed that Torres would sit the full eight remaining games (he’s already served 13 of 21, which was reduced from the original 25) for his hit on Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa.
“The terms of the Torres suspension remain the same, as modified by the Commissioner’s decision last summer,” Daly said in an email to the Tribune. “Neither the lockout nor the transition rules (in the new collective bargaining agreement) impacted the terms of the Torres suspension.”
According to the Tribune report, Torres will be allowed to practice with the Coyotes but unable to play until Phoenix hosts Dallas on Feb. 2.
Five days later — Feb. 7 — Hossa and the ‘Hawks will travel to Glendale to take on the ‘Yotes.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 33
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 113
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (113)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)