Jan 16, 2013, 10:49 AM EST
Given this season will be an abbreviated one — player contracts are prorated, the schedule is condensed, etc. — the Phoenix Coyotes figured they might as well kick the tires on shortening Raffi Torres‘ suspension.
Turns out they weren’t kicking for long.
That was the word on Tuesday night as Dan Tencer of Edmonton’s 630 CHED radio spoke with Phoenix assistant GM Brad Treviling:
Coyotes appealed to NHL to reduce Raffi Torres’ suspension due to short season. No go. “It was a short conversation” says AGM Brad Treliving
— Dan Tencer (@dantencer) January 16, 2013
Shortly thereafter, the Chicago Tribune reached out to NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly, who confirmed that Torres would sit the full eight remaining games (he’s already served 13 of 21, which was reduced from the original 25) for his hit on Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa.
“The terms of the Torres suspension remain the same, as modified by the Commissioner’s decision last summer,” Daly said in an email to the Tribune. “Neither the lockout nor the transition rules (in the new collective bargaining agreement) impacted the terms of the Torres suspension.”
According to the Tribune report, Torres will be allowed to practice with the Coyotes but unable to play until Phoenix hosts Dallas on Feb. 2.
Five days later — Feb. 7 — Hossa and the ‘Hawks will travel to Glendale to take on the ‘Yotes.
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 84
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 7
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (84)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)