Jan 16, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
Given this season will be an abbreviated one — player contracts are prorated, the schedule is condensed, etc. — the Phoenix Coyotes figured they might as well kick the tires on shortening Raffi Torres‘ suspension.
Turns out they weren’t kicking for long.
That was the word on Tuesday night as Dan Tencer of Edmonton’s 630 CHED radio spoke with Phoenix assistant GM Brad Treviling:
Coyotes appealed to NHL to reduce Raffi Torres’ suspension due to short season. No go. “It was a short conversation” says AGM Brad Treliving
— Dan Tencer (@dantencer) January 16, 2013
Shortly thereafter, the Chicago Tribune reached out to NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly, who confirmed that Torres would sit the full eight remaining games (he’s already served 13 of 21, which was reduced from the original 25) for his hit on Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa.
“The terms of the Torres suspension remain the same, as modified by the Commissioner’s decision last summer,” Daly said in an email to the Tribune. “Neither the lockout nor the transition rules (in the new collective bargaining agreement) impacted the terms of the Torres suspension.”
According to the Tribune report, Torres will be allowed to practice with the Coyotes but unable to play until Phoenix hosts Dallas on Feb. 2.
Five days later — Feb. 7 — Hossa and the ‘Hawks will travel to Glendale to take on the ‘Yotes.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)