Jan 16, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
Given this season will be an abbreviated one — player contracts are prorated, the schedule is condensed, etc. — the Phoenix Coyotes figured they might as well kick the tires on shortening Raffi Torres‘ suspension.
Turns out they weren’t kicking for long.
That was the word on Tuesday night as Dan Tencer of Edmonton’s 630 CHED radio spoke with Phoenix assistant GM Brad Treviling:
Coyotes appealed to NHL to reduce Raffi Torres’ suspension due to short season. No go. “It was a short conversation” says AGM Brad Treliving
— Dan Tencer (@dantencer) January 16, 2013
Shortly thereafter, the Chicago Tribune reached out to NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly, who confirmed that Torres would sit the full eight remaining games (he’s already served 13 of 21, which was reduced from the original 25) for his hit on Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa.
“The terms of the Torres suspension remain the same, as modified by the Commissioner’s decision last summer,” Daly said in an email to the Tribune. “Neither the lockout nor the transition rules (in the new collective bargaining agreement) impacted the terms of the Torres suspension.”
According to the Tribune report, Torres will be allowed to practice with the Coyotes but unable to play until Phoenix hosts Dallas on Feb. 2.
Five days later — Feb. 7 — Hossa and the ‘Hawks will travel to Glendale to take on the ‘Yotes.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)