Jan 16, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
The moves are precursors to the accelerated cap buyouts the NHL and NHLPA agreed to on Tuesday. The new agreement allows teams to use one compliance buyouts — teams were granted two under the new CBA — prior to the start of this season.
However, the player’s full salary for the 2012-13 season still would count against the team’s cap — in the case of Redden and the Rangers, that figure is $6.5 million.
For Gomez and the Canadiens, it’s $7.36 million.
The new ruling will allow for both players to seek employment for this season.
Habs GM Marc Bergevin told Gomez earlier this week he’d be sent home for the year, rather than sent down to Montreal’s AHL affiliate in Hamilton. Reason being was if Gomez sustained an injury while playing, Montreal would not be able to buy him out next summer (injured players are not buyout eligible.)
The Rangers were primed to do the same with Redden.
As for what the future holds — should Gomez and Redden clear waivers and the buyouts become finalized, both players will become available to sign with any club as early as Thursday at noon.
May 19, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
He was a healthy scratch in Games 1 and 2.
May 19, 2013, 1:09 PM EDT
He could face league discipline.
May 19, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
He played just 15:37 in Game 2.
May 19, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT
The playoffs haven’t been kind.
May 19, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
A pivotal Game 3 awaits in Ottawa.
May 19, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
Veteran d-man kept it mellow.
May 19, 2013, 8:38 AM EDT
“He screws it up.”
May 19, 2013, 12:44 AM EDT
Trevor Lewis doesn’t think it was a penalty.
May 19, 2013, 12:12 AM EDT
Logan Couture goes from injured to game-winner.
May 18, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
His Halifax Mooseheads topped Seth Jones’ Portland Winterhawks.
May 18, 2013, 10:49 PM EDT
May 18, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
At least Scott Hannan’s OK?
May 18, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
These moments hurt in games with small margins of error.
May 18, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
After falling to it in Game 2.
May 18, 2013, 9:09 PM EDT
Matt Greene isn’t playing in Game 3, either.
May 18, 2013, 8:11 PM EDT
Dennis Seidenberg likely out, Wade Redden’s a game-time decision.
May 18, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT
His club’s down 0-2 to the Kings…
May 18, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
Their critical press release fund must be dry.
May 18, 2013, 6:01 PM EDT
Is that “grossly unfair,” too?
May 18, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
The captain cares not for the rough stuff.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 55
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal