Jan 16, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
The moves are precursors to the accelerated cap buyouts the NHL and NHLPA agreed to on Tuesday. The new agreement allows teams to use one compliance buyouts — teams were granted two under the new CBA — prior to the start of this season.
However, the player’s full salary for the 2012-13 season still would count against the team’s cap — in the case of Redden and the Rangers, that figure is $6.5 million.
For Gomez and the Canadiens, it’s $7.36 million.
The new ruling will allow for both players to seek employment for this season.
Habs GM Marc Bergevin told Gomez earlier this week he’d be sent home for the year, rather than sent down to Montreal’s AHL affiliate in Hamilton. Reason being was if Gomez sustained an injury while playing, Montreal would not be able to buy him out next summer (injured players are not buyout eligible.)
The Rangers were primed to do the same with Redden.
As for what the future holds — should Gomez and Redden clear waivers and the buyouts become finalized, both players will become available to sign with any club as early as Thursday at noon.
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 20
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 20
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 12
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 27
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)