Jan 16, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
Per CSNPhilly.com, here’s why:
The move gives the team the option to send either player to the Adirondack Phantoms – something general manager Paul Holmgren said was in the plans for Boucher earlier this week. The Flyers acquired Boucher in a trade with the Carolina Hurricanes Sunday, in exchange for minor-leaguer Luke Pither.
Unlike Boucher, Lilja has participated in training camp since it opened Sunday morning. Whether he’ll start the season in the NHL or AHL is up in the air, likely pending the health of Andrej Meszaros, who tore his Achilles tendon over the summer. If Meszaros is healthy enough to start the season, Lilja will most likely head straight to Glens Falls.
With Lilja, the Flyers have eight defensemen. They will carry seven on their roster once the season starts.
Boucher’s expected demotion leaves Philadelphia with a goalie tandem of Ilya Bryzgalov and Michael Leighton, the latter of which won’t leave Flyers fans feeling very comfortable should the former falter.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)