Jan 16, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Per CSNPhilly.com, here’s why:
The move gives the team the option to send either player to the Adirondack Phantoms – something general manager Paul Holmgren said was in the plans for Boucher earlier this week. The Flyers acquired Boucher in a trade with the Carolina Hurricanes Sunday, in exchange for minor-leaguer Luke Pither.
Unlike Boucher, Lilja has participated in training camp since it opened Sunday morning. Whether he’ll start the season in the NHL or AHL is up in the air, likely pending the health of Andrej Meszaros, who tore his Achilles tendon over the summer. If Meszaros is healthy enough to start the season, Lilja will most likely head straight to Glens Falls.
With Lilja, the Flyers have eight defensemen. They will carry seven on their roster once the season starts.
Boucher’s expected demotion leaves Philadelphia with a goalie tandem of Ilya Bryzgalov and Michael Leighton, the latter of which won’t leave Flyers fans feeling very comfortable should the former falter.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)