Jan 16, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have made the first big splash under the new collective bargaining agreement, signing center Travis Zajac to an eight-year, $46 million contract extension.
Zajac, 27, was New Jersey’s first-round pick at the 2004 NHL Entry Draft and has spent his entire six-year career with the Devils.
In 2010, he posted career highs in goals (25), assists (42) and points (67) and in 2011, became the franchise’s record holder for most consecutive games played (401).
Zajac missed a large chunk of the 2011-12 season with a torn Achilles, appearing in just 15 regular season contests (posting 2G-4A-6PTS). He recovered in time for the playoffs and was a huge part of New Jersey’s Stanley Cup finals run, posting 14 points in 24 games while scoring two game-winning goals.
With the new deal, Zajac will become New Jersey’s second highest-paid player — behind Ilya Kovalchuk — when his extension begins in 2013-14.
Zajac will carry a $5.75 million cap hit, up from his current $3.87 million.
Note: Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos points out the deal is indicative of the “no more front-loaded contracts” theme featured in the new CBA.
Zajac will make $3.5 million in the first year of his deal, $5 million the next, $6.5 million from years three through six, and $5.75 million in the final two years.
He also has a full no-trade clause, per ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- Erik Haula signs two-year extension with Wild (35)