Jan 16, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Sounds as though the Red Wings will play this weekend without two of their top nine forwards.
Helm tweaked a back muscle last Thursday and hasn’t returned to the ice since. When asked if he’d be available for the Blues game, he replied “probably not.”
“I can’t bend over too well,” he said. “I have to tie my skates before I can skate around. It’s a small injury, but it bugs me quite a bit. I have to make sure I can skate before I go out there.”
Samuelsson suffered a groin strain on the opening day of camp. He described the injury as a “minor, minor thing” but, given he’s 36 and has a history of groin issues (he missed 22 games last year with a similar injury), his status is questionable.
If both players are out, it’ll force Wings head coach Mike Babcock to juggle things a bit.
Justin Abdelkader seems like the leading candidate to replace Helm, while either Bertuzzi or Cleary is set to jump up to play wing on the second line.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)