Jan 16, 2013, 4:24 PM EDT
The Capitals won’t have either of their 2012 first-round picks in the lineup this season.
That’s the word out of Washington on Wednesday as GM George McPhee announced the Caps have sent forward Tom Wilson back to OHL Plymouth.
Wilson, 18, was the 16th overall selection at the draft and earned praise from Washington head coach Adam Oates for his training camp performance thus far.
“He looked great out there,” Oates told the Washington Times. “He skated great, he looked like one of the guys and sometimes I didn’t realize it was him.”
Wilson was the second of Washington’s two first-round picks at the draft. The first, Filip Forsberg, was taken 11th overall and had already been dispatched to his Swedish team, Leksands, in late July.
Of note, Forsberg was named to the 2013 World Junior tournament All-Star team after pacing Sweden with five points in six games en route to a silver medal.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 0
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 10
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 37
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic
- Play Video: Stepan's face takes a beating
- Play Video: Dorsett vs. Thornton