Jan 15, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are going to have to get used to some significant changes this season, but at least they’ll still have a gifted Swedish captain.
Fellow forward Dan Cleary (note: not Swedish) gave the decision his seal of approval.
“It’s a great choice,” Cleary said. “The biggest thing for me is that he’s so unselfish. He’s such a personable guy. He’s a star. He’s got great talent on the ice, but he’s very respectful off the ice and he’s vocal when he needs to be and he leads by example.”
Here’s a photo of Zetterberg donning the “C” via the team’s Twitter page.
The Red Wings’ Web site points out that he’s the 36th captain in team history, but most interestingly, just the third in the last 26 years (Lidstrom and Steve Yzerman being the others). Coach Mike Babcock points to a possible key to his longevity: not making Mike Babcock angry.
“He and I have a relationship where he doesn’t mind getting mad at me and I don’t mind getting mad at him,” Babcock said. “I don’t have any problem with that. He doesn’t mind standing up for the guys and telling you want he thinks. And I think that’s so important for us.”
Indeed, Zetterberg & Co. would do well to avoid this face (via the AP):
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 39
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)