Jan 15, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are going to have to get used to some significant changes this season, but at least they’ll still have a gifted Swedish captain.
Fellow forward Dan Cleary (note: not Swedish) gave the decision his seal of approval.
“It’s a great choice,” Cleary said. “The biggest thing for me is that he’s so unselfish. He’s such a personable guy. He’s a star. He’s got great talent on the ice, but he’s very respectful off the ice and he’s vocal when he needs to be and he leads by example.”
Here’s a photo of Zetterberg donning the “C” via the team’s Twitter page.
The Red Wings’ Web site points out that he’s the 36th captain in team history, but most interestingly, just the third in the last 26 years (Lidstrom and Steve Yzerman being the others). Coach Mike Babcock points to a possible key to his longevity: not making Mike Babcock angry.
“He and I have a relationship where he doesn’t mind getting mad at me and I don’t mind getting mad at him,” Babcock said. “I don’t have any problem with that. He doesn’t mind standing up for the guys and telling you want he thinks. And I think that’s so important for us.”
Indeed, Zetterberg & Co. would do well to avoid this face (via the AP):
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 5
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 20
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)