Jan 15, 2013, 6:03 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings are going to have to get used to some significant changes this season, but at least they’ll still have a gifted Swedish captain.
Fellow forward Dan Cleary (note: not Swedish) gave the decision his seal of approval.
“It’s a great choice,” Cleary said. “The biggest thing for me is that he’s so unselfish. He’s such a personable guy. He’s a star. He’s got great talent on the ice, but he’s very respectful off the ice and he’s vocal when he needs to be and he leads by example.”
Here’s a photo of Zetterberg donning the “C” via the team’s Twitter page.
The Red Wings’ Web site points out that he’s the 36th captain in team history, but most interestingly, just the third in the last 26 years (Lidstrom and Steve Yzerman being the others). Coach Mike Babcock points to a possible key to his longevity: not making Mike Babcock angry.
“He and I have a relationship where he doesn’t mind getting mad at me and I don’t mind getting mad at him,” Babcock said. “I don’t have any problem with that. He doesn’t mind standing up for the guys and telling you want he thinks. And I think that’s so important for us.”
Indeed, Zetterberg & Co. would do well to avoid this face (via the AP):
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 71
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 87
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (80)