Jan 15, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are going to have to get used to some significant changes this season, but at least they’ll still have a gifted Swedish captain.
Fellow forward Dan Cleary (note: not Swedish) gave the decision his seal of approval.
“It’s a great choice,” Cleary said. “The biggest thing for me is that he’s so unselfish. He’s such a personable guy. He’s a star. He’s got great talent on the ice, but he’s very respectful off the ice and he’s vocal when he needs to be and he leads by example.”
Here’s a photo of Zetterberg donning the “C” via the team’s Twitter page.
The Red Wings’ Web site points out that he’s the 36th captain in team history, but most interestingly, just the third in the last 26 years (Lidstrom and Steve Yzerman being the others). Coach Mike Babcock points to a possible key to his longevity: not making Mike Babcock angry.
“He and I have a relationship where he doesn’t mind getting mad at me and I don’t mind getting mad at him,” Babcock said. “I don’t have any problem with that. He doesn’t mind standing up for the guys and telling you want he thinks. And I think that’s so important for us.”
Indeed, Zetterberg & Co. would do well to avoid this face (via the AP):
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)