Jan 15, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are going to have to get used to some significant changes this season, but at least they’ll still have a gifted Swedish captain.
Fellow forward Dan Cleary (note: not Swedish) gave the decision his seal of approval.
“It’s a great choice,” Cleary said. “The biggest thing for me is that he’s so unselfish. He’s such a personable guy. He’s a star. He’s got great talent on the ice, but he’s very respectful off the ice and he’s vocal when he needs to be and he leads by example.”
Here’s a photo of Zetterberg donning the “C” via the team’s Twitter page.
The Red Wings’ Web site points out that he’s the 36th captain in team history, but most interestingly, just the third in the last 26 years (Lidstrom and Steve Yzerman being the others). Coach Mike Babcock points to a possible key to his longevity: not making Mike Babcock angry.
“He and I have a relationship where he doesn’t mind getting mad at me and I don’t mind getting mad at him,” Babcock said. “I don’t have any problem with that. He doesn’t mind standing up for the guys and telling you want he thinks. And I think that’s so important for us.”
Indeed, Zetterberg & Co. would do well to avoid this face (via the AP):
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38