Jan 15, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
Wade Redden and Scott Gomez might get a chance to play this season after all.
According to various reports, the NHL and NHLPA have agreed to open another window for compliance buyouts on contracts — one that begins now, ends before Jan. 19…and comes with a wrinkle regarding cap hits.
Teams utilizing the “accelerated cap buyout” will take their player’s entire cap hit for the 2013 season, even if the player signs with another team as a UFA.
For future seasons, the cap hit would come off the books.
This ruling is in response to situations the Rangers and Canadiens found themselves in with Redden and Gomez, respectively.
Both players are due large sums of money over the next two seasons — Redden has a $6.5 million cap hit, Gomez is at $7.35 million — and, under rules of the new CBA, neither would be eligible for a compliance buyout until the summer.
The problem, of course, was what to do with them now.
New York and Montreal were leery of letting either player suit up in the AHL for fear of injury, because injured players cannot be bought out.
The solution was a harsh but pragmatic one — Redden and Gomez were going to be sent home until the buyout period began. They’d get paid, but they wouldn’t be able to play.
Under the amended ruling, the end result is less harsh for all parties involved. The players will get a chance to revive their careers elsewhere, and teams avoid the acrimonious situation of negating someone’s ability to play hockey.
– Each team is still only permitted two compliance buyouts. TSN’s Bob McKenzie notes they have to happen before Saturday, or in the summers of either 2013 or 2014.
– Clubs will pay 100 percent of salaries on buyouts for this year, not two-thirds.
Told that Bost, Tor, Fla, Ott have expressed at least preliminary interest in Redden...—
Larry Brooks (@NYP_Brooksie) January 15, 2013
Dec 9, 2013, 12:11 AM EST
The check didn’t result in a penalty.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Plus the Olympics, legal matters and more.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:58 PM EST
More bad injury breaks for Boston.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:39 PM EST
“It’s getting old,” Brad Richards said.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Todd McLellan wasn’t happy on Sunday.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:53 PM EST
Good news/bad news night for Chicago.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
Is this a faux pas?
Dec 8, 2013, 8:16 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 7:24 PM EST
Punishment for Varlamov’s last start or reward for Jiggy’s win?
Dec 8, 2013, 7:13 PM EST
It resulted in a broken ankle.
Dec 8, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
He expects to bring “tons of energy.”
Dec 8, 2013, 6:50 PM EST
Claude Julien believes Brendan Shanahan faces a few tough calls.
Dec 8, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
Ryan Spooner and Matt Fraser are emergency recalls.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
No back-to-back duty for Braden Holtby.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:16 PM EST
The team is unsure if he has a concussion.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
He’s not even sure if he’s retiring, but even if he is, he doesn’t want the distraction.
Dec 8, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Los Angeles has been great during his recovery process.
Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Mason might not get that much, but he’s certainly in line for a big raise.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
His Boston Bruins will play there on Tuesday.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)