Jan 15, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
Wade Redden and Scott Gomez might get a chance to play this season after all.
According to various reports, the NHL and NHLPA have agreed to open another window for compliance buyouts on contracts — one that begins now, ends before Jan. 19…and comes with a wrinkle regarding cap hits.
Teams utilizing the “accelerated cap buyout” will take their player’s entire cap hit for the 2013 season, even if the player signs with another team as a UFA.
For future seasons, the cap hit would come off the books.
This ruling is in response to situations the Rangers and Canadiens found themselves in with Redden and Gomez, respectively.
Both players are due large sums of money over the next two seasons — Redden has a $6.5 million cap hit, Gomez is at $7.35 million — and, under rules of the new CBA, neither would be eligible for a compliance buyout until the summer.
The problem, of course, was what to do with them now.
New York and Montreal were leery of letting either player suit up in the AHL for fear of injury, because injured players cannot be bought out.
The solution was a harsh but pragmatic one — Redden and Gomez were going to be sent home until the buyout period began. They’d get paid, but they wouldn’t be able to play.
Under the amended ruling, the end result is less harsh for all parties involved. The players will get a chance to revive their careers elsewhere, and teams avoid the acrimonious situation of negating someone’s ability to play hockey.
– Each team is still only permitted two compliance buyouts. TSN’s Bob McKenzie notes they have to happen before Saturday, or in the summers of either 2013 or 2014.
– Clubs will pay 100 percent of salaries on buyouts for this year, not two-thirds.
Told that Bost, Tor, Fla, Ott have expressed at least preliminary interest in Redden...—
Larry Brooks (@NYP_Brooksie) January 15, 2013
Aug 1, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
He was a fourth-round pick by them in 2007.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
He’s a free agent after next season,
Aug 1, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
He had 17 points for Calgary last season.
Aug 1, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
No real surprise, right?
Aug 1, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
His stats and Stanley Cup victories have us perplexed.
Aug 1, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
He’s gunning to make an impression on L.A.’s blue line corps.
Aug 1, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
Teemu forever and ever and ever.
Aug 1, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
He’s win the Cup twice and has two Olympic gold medals, but he hasn’t captured the Norris Trophy yet.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Montreal and the defenseman can still negotiate until the ruling, but no talks are scheduled.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
They’re trying to re-sign both of them this summer.
Aug 1, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
They averaged 3.38 goals per game in the postseason.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
They still might avoid the ruling though.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT
Sunny Mehta wrote two books on the card game, but he’s turned his attention to advanced statistics in sports.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
His relationship with Panthers GM Dale Tallon made a big difference.
Aug 1, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Will Los Angeles regret opting against a buyout?
Aug 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Taking a look at the 2014 champions on Friday.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Lou Lamoriello says those SO struggles are “not a focus.”
Jul 31, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
“It will help me down the road.”
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Have fun making up captions with this one.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
The team estimates he’ll miss two weeks of on-ice training.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)