Jan 15, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
Wade Redden and Scott Gomez might get a chance to play this season after all.
According to various reports, the NHL and NHLPA have agreed to open another window for compliance buyouts on contracts — one that begins now, ends before Jan. 19…and comes with a wrinkle regarding cap hits.
Teams utilizing the “accelerated cap buyout” will take their player’s entire cap hit for the 2013 season, even if the player signs with another team as a UFA.
For future seasons, the cap hit would come off the books.
This ruling is in response to situations the Rangers and Canadiens found themselves in with Redden and Gomez, respectively.
Both players are due large sums of money over the next two seasons — Redden has a $6.5 million cap hit, Gomez is at $7.35 million — and, under rules of the new CBA, neither would be eligible for a compliance buyout until the summer.
The problem, of course, was what to do with them now.
New York and Montreal were leery of letting either player suit up in the AHL for fear of injury, because injured players cannot be bought out.
The solution was a harsh but pragmatic one — Redden and Gomez were going to be sent home until the buyout period began. They’d get paid, but they wouldn’t be able to play.
Under the amended ruling, the end result is less harsh for all parties involved. The players will get a chance to revive their careers elsewhere, and teams avoid the acrimonious situation of negating someone’s ability to play hockey.
– Each team is still only permitted two compliance buyouts. TSN’s Bob McKenzie notes they have to happen before Saturday, or in the summers of either 2013 or 2014.
– Clubs will pay 100 percent of salaries on buyouts for this year, not two-thirds.
Told that Bost, Tor, Fla, Ott have expressed at least preliminary interest in Redden...—
Larry Brooks (@NYP_Brooksie) January 15, 2013
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
“But sometimes you have to lose what you have to realize what you had.”
Sep 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Players nursing bumps and bruises as camps wrap.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
“In a perfect world, it would be three.”
Sep 21, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
“He’s thinking usually two or three plays ahead.”
Sep 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
“God, defense was just so much fun though.”
Sep 21, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
The team’s still trying to determine if surgery is necessary.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
He won’t play in either of Ottawa’s Monday exhibitions games.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Seasoning in the AHL should serve the 20-year-old well.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Agent confirms talking to several KHL teams.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
With Giroux out, Craig Berube juggles lines.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Not at Oilers camp for the first time in his career.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Columbus looking at options with Johansen not at camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)