Jan 15, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
“Claude is the undisputed leader of this team,” GM Paul Holmgren said. “He always exhibits a tremendous work ethic in games and practices. He is a great professional both on and off the ice. Claude has learned a lot over the past few years playing with Mike Richards, Danny Briere, Kimmo Timonen and Chris Pronger, just to name a few. Having played with these athletes has been a huge benefit for Claude.”
The Flyers have been without a captain since Chris Pronger went down to injury in November 2011. Rather than shift the “C” to a different player, Philly was led by a trio of alternates — Giroux, Daniel Briere and Kimmo Timonen — for the remainder of last season and the playoffs.
That said, it’s not surprising Giroux was the one chosen to ascend from alternate status.
The 25-year-old had a breakout campaign in 2011-12, posting a career- and team-high 93 points while setting a Flyers record for most points in a single playoff game (six, versus Pittsburgh.)
Giroux’s stellar postseason play earned him rave reviews vaulted him into star status. Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette called Giroux “the best player in the world” following the series win over Pittsburgh, one in which Giroux upped his personal rivalry with Pens captain Sidney Crosby.
Giroux will join Lou Angotti, Ed Van Impe, Bobby Clarke, Mel Bridgeman, Bill Barber, Dave Poulin, Ron Sutter, Rick Tocchet, Kevin Dineen, Eric Lindros, Eric Desjardins, Keith Primeau, Derian Hatcher, Peter Forsberg, Jason Smith, Mike Richards and Pronger in the history of Philadelphia captains.
Of note, Clarke served both the longest single stint (seven seasons) and most seasons overall (nine) wearing the “C” for the Flyers.
Here’s video reaction to news of Giroux being named captain:
Nov 24, 2014, 1:14 AM EST
Suffered a lower body injury Thursday night.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:50 AM EST
Arizona was playing in the second game of a back-to-back.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:33 PM EST
Keeps the game tied 1-1 in the second.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Colorado returns to action on Tuesday night in Arizona.
Nov 23, 2014, 10:15 PM EST
Playing in his 1,000th NHL game tonight.
Nov 23, 2014, 9:15 PM EST
Didn’t get a penalty for bumping into the goaltender.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:58 PM EST
Scores his eighth of the season.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
Was stretchered off the ice Saturday night.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Beauchemin and Perry have already missed games due to the disease this season.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Had two goals in two AHL games.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Chara placed on long-term injured reserve.
Nov 23, 2014, 6:25 PM EST
Paul Maurice irate with the penalty call.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
Received a two minute boarding minor.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Not much of a margin for error for the banged-up B’s.
Nov 23, 2014, 4:14 PM EST
Seriously, this is pretty harsh.
Nov 23, 2014, 4:01 PM EST
He’s appeared in 737 consecutive games.
Nov 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Sunday’s starting goalies.
Nov 23, 2014, 3:13 PM EST
He set up Tyler Seguin’s breakaway goal.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:51 PM EST
Good luck with that.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
He shared the evidence and a boatload of hashtags.
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 0
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)