Jan 15, 2013, 2:26 PM EST
Colorado forward Ryan O’Reilly is not on the trading block, sources tell the Denver Post.
Not yet anyway.
The 21-year-old restricted free agent, currently playing in the KHL, has reportedly been offered a two-year, $7 million contract by the Avalanche.
That’s the same deal Matt Duchene, 21, accepted in June; however, that came on the heels of a disappointing 28-point season.
O’Reilly, on the other hand, led the Avs with 55 points in 2011-12. He also spent time killing penalties and topped the team with 101 takeaways.
As such, he’s apparently looking for a contract that pays him in the neighborhood of $5 million annually.
The two sides are still talking, according to O’Reilly’s agent.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)