Jan 15, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
Colorado forward Ryan O’Reilly is not on the trading block, sources tell the Denver Post.
Not yet anyway.
The 21-year-old restricted free agent, currently playing in the KHL, has reportedly been offered a two-year, $7 million contract by the Avalanche.
That’s the same deal Matt Duchene, 21, accepted in June; however, that came on the heels of a disappointing 28-point season.
O’Reilly, on the other hand, led the Avs with 55 points in 2011-12. He also spent time killing penalties and topped the team with 101 takeaways.
As such, he’s apparently looking for a contract that pays him in the neighborhood of $5 million annually.
The two sides are still talking, according to O’Reilly’s agent.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 19
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 32
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 45
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10