Jan 15, 2013, 2:26 PM EST
Colorado forward Ryan O’Reilly is not on the trading block, sources tell the Denver Post.
Not yet anyway.
The 21-year-old restricted free agent, currently playing in the KHL, has reportedly been offered a two-year, $7 million contract by the Avalanche.
That’s the same deal Matt Duchene, 21, accepted in June; however, that came on the heels of a disappointing 28-point season.
O’Reilly, on the other hand, led the Avs with 55 points in 2011-12. He also spent time killing penalties and topped the team with 101 takeaways.
As such, he’s apparently looking for a contract that pays him in the neighborhood of $5 million annually.
The two sides are still talking, according to O’Reilly’s agent.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 39
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)