Jan 15, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
Colorado forward Ryan O’Reilly is not on the trading block, sources tell the Denver Post.
Not yet anyway.
The 21-year-old restricted free agent, currently playing in the KHL, has reportedly been offered a two-year, $7 million contract by the Avalanche.
That’s the same deal Matt Duchene, 21, accepted in June; however, that came on the heels of a disappointing 28-point season.
O’Reilly, on the other hand, led the Avs with 55 points in 2011-12. He also spent time killing penalties and topped the team with 101 takeaways.
As such, he’s apparently looking for a contract that pays him in the neighborhood of $5 million annually.
The two sides are still talking, according to O’Reilly’s agent.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 8
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 84
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (84)