Jan 15, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
Colorado forward Ryan O’Reilly is not on the trading block, sources tell the Denver Post.
Not yet anyway.
The 21-year-old restricted free agent, currently playing in the KHL, has reportedly been offered a two-year, $7 million contract by the Avalanche.
That’s the same deal Matt Duchene, 21, accepted in June; however, that came on the heels of a disappointing 28-point season.
O’Reilly, on the other hand, led the Avs with 55 points in 2011-12. He also spent time killing penalties and topped the team with 101 takeaways.
As such, he’s apparently looking for a contract that pays him in the neighborhood of $5 million annually.
The two sides are still talking, according to O’Reilly’s agent.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)