Jan 15, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT
Restricted free agent P.K. Subban‘s agent Don Meehan didn’t exactly have a rosy update about his negotiations with the Montreal Canadiens on Tuesday. Here’s the terse statement he provided to the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs:
“No news to report today,” Meehan said. “We are not close to an agreement.”
That doesn’t sound very promising, although perhaps negative updates are just natural in the negotiation process?
Either way, it’s a tough situation with new CBA rules and a small window to haggle (if the goal is to get Subban signed before the season starts).
Despite playing different positions, one might look to Jamie Benn‘s RFA situation with the Dallas Stars instead of fellow defenseman Michael Del Zotto‘s deal with the New York Rangers. Both Benn and Subban are up-and-comers who’ve quickly become essential parts of their teams, setting the stage for some fan angst if they hold out for long.
Another source of angst? The threat of the “triple-low five” going on an indefinite hiatus (both photos via Getty):
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 5
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 28
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 14
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)