Jan 15, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT
Restricted free agent P.K. Subban‘s agent Don Meehan didn’t exactly have a rosy update about his negotiations with the Montreal Canadiens on Tuesday. Here’s the terse statement he provided to the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs:
“No news to report today,” Meehan said. “We are not close to an agreement.”
That doesn’t sound very promising, although perhaps negative updates are just natural in the negotiation process?
Either way, it’s a tough situation with new CBA rules and a small window to haggle (if the goal is to get Subban signed before the season starts).
Despite playing different positions, one might look to Jamie Benn‘s RFA situation with the Dallas Stars instead of fellow defenseman Michael Del Zotto‘s deal with the New York Rangers. Both Benn and Subban are up-and-comers who’ve quickly become essential parts of their teams, setting the stage for some fan angst if they hold out for long.
Another source of angst? The threat of the “triple-low five” going on an indefinite hiatus (both photos via Getty):
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 6
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 8
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 108
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7