Jan 15, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT
Restricted free agent P.K. Subban‘s agent Don Meehan didn’t exactly have a rosy update about his negotiations with the Montreal Canadiens on Tuesday. Here’s the terse statement he provided to the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs:
“No news to report today,” Meehan said. “We are not close to an agreement.”
That doesn’t sound very promising, although perhaps negative updates are just natural in the negotiation process?
Either way, it’s a tough situation with new CBA rules and a small window to haggle (if the goal is to get Subban signed before the season starts).
Despite playing different positions, one might look to Jamie Benn‘s RFA situation with the Dallas Stars instead of fellow defenseman Michael Del Zotto‘s deal with the New York Rangers. Both Benn and Subban are up-and-comers who’ve quickly become essential parts of their teams, setting the stage for some fan angst if they hold out for long.
Another source of angst? The threat of the “triple-low five” going on an indefinite hiatus (both photos via Getty):
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 28
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 6
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 3