Jan 15, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT
Restricted free agent P.K. Subban‘s agent Don Meehan didn’t exactly have a rosy update about his negotiations with the Montreal Canadiens on Tuesday. Here’s the terse statement he provided to the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs:
“No news to report today,” Meehan said. “We are not close to an agreement.”
That doesn’t sound very promising, although perhaps negative updates are just natural in the negotiation process?
Either way, it’s a tough situation with new CBA rules and a small window to haggle (if the goal is to get Subban signed before the season starts).
Despite playing different positions, one might look to Jamie Benn‘s RFA situation with the Dallas Stars instead of fellow defenseman Michael Del Zotto‘s deal with the New York Rangers. Both Benn and Subban are up-and-comers who’ve quickly become essential parts of their teams, setting the stage for some fan angst if they hold out for long.
Another source of angst? The threat of the “triple-low five” going on an indefinite hiatus (both photos via Getty):
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)