Jan 15, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT
Restricted free agent P.K. Subban‘s agent Don Meehan didn’t exactly have a rosy update about his negotiations with the Montreal Canadiens on Tuesday. Here’s the terse statement he provided to the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs:
“No news to report today,” Meehan said. “We are not close to an agreement.”
That doesn’t sound very promising, although perhaps negative updates are just natural in the negotiation process?
Either way, it’s a tough situation with new CBA rules and a small window to haggle (if the goal is to get Subban signed before the season starts).
Despite playing different positions, one might look to Jamie Benn‘s RFA situation with the Dallas Stars instead of fellow defenseman Michael Del Zotto‘s deal with the New York Rangers. Both Benn and Subban are up-and-comers who’ve quickly become essential parts of their teams, setting the stage for some fan angst if they hold out for long.
Another source of angst? The threat of the “triple-low five” going on an indefinite hiatus (both photos via Getty):
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)