Oilers’ Sutton (knee) likely done for year

Jan 15, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT

Comments Off
Pittsburgh Penguins v Edmonton Oilers Getty Images

The excitement within the Edmonton organization after Monday’s Mark Fistric trade was tempered slightly when GM Steve Tambellini updated the status of injured defenseman Andy Sutton.

“We don’t believe Andy will be playing this year,” said Tambellini, suggesting that Sutton’s serious knee injury will all but end his time in Edmonton — and perhaps his career.

Sutton, 37, inked a one-year, $1.75 million extension with the Oilers in February. The deal was largely in part to his 2011-12 campaign — the towering defenseman had 10 points in 52 games, finished plus-5, recorded 112 hits and averaged 16:41 of ice time, despite being sidelined by injury (he also missed 13 games to suspension.)

His latest injury is perhaps his most severe.

“I basically broke a chunk off my femur, the piece I broke off was giving me a lot of discomfort, so they went in and sort of cleaned up my knee and took out the chunk,” Sutton told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun in November. “Now, I have to repair the defect that’s there. Otherwise, it’ll just keep getting bigger.

“It’s bone on bone in two spots in my knee.”

Sutton’s still recovering from the procedure but, given the shortened season and wear and tear he’s accumulated over his 12-year career, it’s unlikely he’ll get healthy to participate in 2013.

And judging by his words during the lockout, it’s unlikely he’ll be back at all.

“I guess the road to recovery from [the knee injury] is quite long and arduous,” he explained. “So I don’t know, this is going to be my 12th surgery.

“I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body.”

Latest Posts
  1. Bordeleau (back) out about three months, others Avs limp into camp

Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.

2. Bruins GM on Krug, Smith: ‘They’re not going anywhere’

Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT

Torey Krug, Patrice Bergeron, Justin Florek, Reilly Smith, Kevan Miller AP

Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.

3. Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’

Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT

Josh Harding AP

He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.

4. Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau

Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v Anaheim Ducks - Game Seven Getty Images

Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?

5. Columbus reacts to Horton (back) being out indefinitely

Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Dallas Stars v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.

6. Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’

Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.

7. Jagr: ‘I want to play until 50′

Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT

Jaromir Jagr, Travis Zajac AP

Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.

8. Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks

Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT

Willie Desjardins AP

“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”

9. Silent Blue: Armstrong will no longer comment on Schwartz

Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT

Doug Armstrong AP

“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”

10. Rangers to name new captain at end of camp

Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT

McDonagh

And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.

11. Eakin, Dillon still without contracts in Dallas

Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT

Cody Eakin, Corey Perry AP

Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.

12. Veteran d-man Lee going to Preds camp on PTO

Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT

Ottawa Senators v New York Islanders Getty Images

Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.

13. Ex-1st rounder Barker goes full circle, will attend ‘Hawks camp

Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT

Cam Barker AP

Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.

14. Wings lose young sniper Mantha (6-8 weeks) to broken tibia

Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

AnthonyMantha

Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches