Oilers’ Sutton (knee) likely done for year

Jan 15, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT

Comments Off on Oilers’ Sutton (knee) likely done for year
Pittsburgh Penguins v Edmonton Oilers Getty Images

The excitement within the Edmonton organization after Monday’s Mark Fistric trade was tempered slightly when GM Steve Tambellini updated the status of injured defenseman Andy Sutton.

“We don’t believe Andy will be playing this year,” said Tambellini, suggesting that Sutton’s serious knee injury will all but end his time in Edmonton — and perhaps his career.

Sutton, 37, inked a one-year, $1.75 million extension with the Oilers in February. The deal was largely in part to his 2011-12 campaign — the towering defenseman had 10 points in 52 games, finished plus-5, recorded 112 hits and averaged 16:41 of ice time, despite being sidelined by injury (he also missed 13 games to suspension.)

His latest injury is perhaps his most severe.

“I basically broke a chunk off my femur, the piece I broke off was giving me a lot of discomfort, so they went in and sort of cleaned up my knee and took out the chunk,” Sutton told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun in November. “Now, I have to repair the defect that’s there. Otherwise, it’ll just keep getting bigger.

“It’s bone on bone in two spots in my knee.”

Sutton’s still recovering from the procedure but, given the shortened season and wear and tear he’s accumulated over his 12-year career, it’s unlikely he’ll get healthy to participate in 2013.

And judging by his words during the lockout, it’s unlikely he’ll be back at all.

“I guess the road to recovery from [the knee injury] is quite long and arduous,” he explained. “So I don’t know, this is going to be my 12th surgery.

“I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body.”

Latest Posts
  1. Bettman refutes link between concussions and CTE

May 22, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT

Montreal Canadiens v Ottawa Senators - Game Six Getty Images

He also reiterates that the salary cap will be about $71M.

2. Video: ‘I got bumped the whole game,’ says Crawford

May 22, 2015, 1:30 AM EDT

Getty Images

Ducks trying to make life miserable for Chicago’s goalie.

3. Bylsma free to pursue any coaching gig, says Rutherford

May 21, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT

Bylsma

Pittsburgh GM won’t stand in the way.

4. Sabres GM Murray lauds ‘great’ process with Babcock, confirms no deal ever in place

May 21, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT

Tim Murray AP

“To have a guy of his ilk, considered one of the best coaches in the National Hockey League, taking a real good hard look at us in Buffalo after a 30th-place finish — I thought the process was great.”

5. B’s sign Finnish forward Kemppainen to one-year, $700K deal

May 21, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT

Joonas Kemppainen, Jan Laco Getty Images

Two-way contract for Karpat’s playoff scoring sensation.

6. Will Hitch be back? Blues still ‘going through the process’

May 21, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT

Ken Hitchcock AP

“It’s something that we’re working on everyday. We’re trying to do it behind closed doors and away from public scrutiny.”

7. Milbury’s ‘tongue-in-cheek’ remarks about Perry discussed, says NBC exec (Video)

May 21, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT

Mike Milbury

“Word choice matters, even when attempting to be humorous.”

8. Report: Sabres get permission to interview Bylsma

May 21, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT

Dan Bylsma AP

As many as six new head coaches could still be named.

Babcock has his work cut out in Toronto
Top 10 NHL Player Searches