Oilers’ Sutton (knee) likely done for year

Jan 15, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT

Comments Off on Oilers’ Sutton (knee) likely done for year
Pittsburgh Penguins v Edmonton Oilers Getty Images

The excitement within the Edmonton organization after Monday’s Mark Fistric trade was tempered slightly when GM Steve Tambellini updated the status of injured defenseman Andy Sutton.

“We don’t believe Andy will be playing this year,” said Tambellini, suggesting that Sutton’s serious knee injury will all but end his time in Edmonton — and perhaps his career.

Sutton, 37, inked a one-year, $1.75 million extension with the Oilers in February. The deal was largely in part to his 2011-12 campaign — the towering defenseman had 10 points in 52 games, finished plus-5, recorded 112 hits and averaged 16:41 of ice time, despite being sidelined by injury (he also missed 13 games to suspension.)

His latest injury is perhaps his most severe.

“I basically broke a chunk off my femur, the piece I broke off was giving me a lot of discomfort, so they went in and sort of cleaned up my knee and took out the chunk,” Sutton told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun in November. “Now, I have to repair the defect that’s there. Otherwise, it’ll just keep getting bigger.

“It’s bone on bone in two spots in my knee.”

Sutton’s still recovering from the procedure but, given the shortened season and wear and tear he’s accumulated over his 12-year career, it’s unlikely he’ll get healthy to participate in 2013.

And judging by his words during the lockout, it’s unlikely he’ll be back at all.

“I guess the road to recovery from [the knee injury] is quite long and arduous,” he explained. “So I don’t know, this is going to be my 12th surgery.

“I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body.”

Latest Posts
  1. Seidenberg says trade rumors were ‘a slap in the face’

Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Colorado Avalanche Getty Images

Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.

2. Wild hire ex-Oilers goalie coach Chabot

Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT

Edmonton Oilers Headshots Getty Images

Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.

3. Flames ‘haven’t been able to find something’ with still-unsigned Ferland

Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT

ferland Getty Images

In a shocking development, “money and term” are the sticking points.

4. Ex-NHLer Peat pleads guilty to arson

Sep 3, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT

Stephen Peat skates Getty Images

He could face up to five years in prison.

5. Report: Pens’ owners seeking $750 million for sale of team

Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Mario Lemieux Getty Images

It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.

6. Oilers, Flames AHL affiliates to play outdoor game

Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

gshr_raley

Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.

7. Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause

Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Patrick Kane Patrick Kane

As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.

8. Wings’ Franzen: ‘I’m excited to try to get back and have a good year’

Sep 2, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT

Johan Franzen Johan Franzen

The Swede hopes to be cleared of his latest concussion in time for the season opener.

9. Blackhawks sign Nordstrom to a one-year deal

Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.

10. After recovering from serious bike crash, Sarich holds out comeback hope

Sep 2, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Calgary Flames Getty Images

“I’m a realist. If nothing happens, that’s the way it is.”

11. Trade target Cowen says Sens’ support has been ‘awesome’

Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT

Jared Cowen

“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”

12. Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club

Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT

Antti Raanta Antti Raanta

He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.

13. Report: Devils captain Salvador to retire this week (Update: Official)

Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT

Bryce Salvador #24 of the New Jersey Devils skates against the New York Islanders at the Prudential Center on September 19, 2013 in Newark, New Jersey.
(September 18, 2013 - Source: Bruce Bennett/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

After missing most of last season with a back injury.

14. Sharks to honor original owner Gund with banner

Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches