Oilers’ Sutton (knee) likely done for year

Jan 15, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT

Comments Off on Oilers’ Sutton (knee) likely done for year
Pittsburgh Penguins v Edmonton Oilers Getty Images

The excitement within the Edmonton organization after Monday’s Mark Fistric trade was tempered slightly when GM Steve Tambellini updated the status of injured defenseman Andy Sutton.

“We don’t believe Andy will be playing this year,” said Tambellini, suggesting that Sutton’s serious knee injury will all but end his time in Edmonton — and perhaps his career.

Sutton, 37, inked a one-year, $1.75 million extension with the Oilers in February. The deal was largely in part to his 2011-12 campaign — the towering defenseman had 10 points in 52 games, finished plus-5, recorded 112 hits and averaged 16:41 of ice time, despite being sidelined by injury (he also missed 13 games to suspension.)

His latest injury is perhaps his most severe.

“I basically broke a chunk off my femur, the piece I broke off was giving me a lot of discomfort, so they went in and sort of cleaned up my knee and took out the chunk,” Sutton told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun in November. “Now, I have to repair the defect that’s there. Otherwise, it’ll just keep getting bigger.

“It’s bone on bone in two spots in my knee.”

Sutton’s still recovering from the procedure but, given the shortened season and wear and tear he’s accumulated over his 12-year career, it’s unlikely he’ll get healthy to participate in 2013.

And judging by his words during the lockout, it’s unlikely he’ll be back at all.

“I guess the road to recovery from [the knee injury] is quite long and arduous,” he explained. “So I don’t know, this is going to be my 12th surgery.

“I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body.”

Latest Posts
  1. Tavares struggles to believe ‘it’s really over’ for Isles

Apr 28, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT

John Tavares AP

It’s also tough to say what happens next.

2. Video: Breaking down Kuznetsov’s series-clincher for Caps

Apr 27, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT

Evgeny Kuznetsov, Brooks Orpik Evgeny Kuznetsov, Brooks Orpik

Barry Trotz says he has the joy of a kid and the maturity of a man.

3. Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings

Apr 27, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT

Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat AP

Some great individual performances propel Tampa Bay.

4. Milbury throws out rules, much like the NHL

Apr 27, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT

Mike Milbury

Game 7 is one of those “let them play” games.

5. WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action

Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT

Nicklas Backstrom, Johnny Boychuk , Thomas Hickey, Marcus Johansson AP

One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.

6. Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’

Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT

2012 NHL Entry Draft - Rounds 2-7 Getty Images

Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.

7. Weber has ‘medical procedure’ for ‘subluxed kneecap’

Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT

Shea Weber AP

Expected to make full recovery within 4-6 weeks.

8. NHL issues statement on passing of Hall of Famer Pronovost

Apr 27, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT

2006 NHL Entry Draft Portraits Getty Images

Former Maple Leaf and Red Wing appeared in over 1,200 career games, winning five Stanley Cups.

9. Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core?

Apr 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT

Phoenix Coyotes v Vancouver Canucks Getty Images

Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were each asked if they’d be willing to waive their no-trade clauses.

10. After hook versus Canucks, Hartley says ‘no question’ Hiller starts against Ducks

Apr 27, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT

Jonas Hiller Getty Images

Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the decision on Monday.

Price brilliant for Habs