Oilers’ Sutton (knee) likely done for year

Jan 15, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT

Comments Off
Pittsburgh Penguins v Edmonton Oilers Getty Images

The excitement within the Edmonton organization after Monday’s Mark Fistric trade was tempered slightly when GM Steve Tambellini updated the status of injured defenseman Andy Sutton.

“We don’t believe Andy will be playing this year,” said Tambellini, suggesting that Sutton’s serious knee injury will all but end his time in Edmonton — and perhaps his career.

Sutton, 37, inked a one-year, $1.75 million extension with the Oilers in February. The deal was largely in part to his 2011-12 campaign — the towering defenseman had 10 points in 52 games, finished plus-5, recorded 112 hits and averaged 16:41 of ice time, despite being sidelined by injury (he also missed 13 games to suspension.)

His latest injury is perhaps his most severe.

“I basically broke a chunk off my femur, the piece I broke off was giving me a lot of discomfort, so they went in and sort of cleaned up my knee and took out the chunk,” Sutton told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun in November. “Now, I have to repair the defect that’s there. Otherwise, it’ll just keep getting bigger.

“It’s bone on bone in two spots in my knee.”

Sutton’s still recovering from the procedure but, given the shortened season and wear and tear he’s accumulated over his 12-year career, it’s unlikely he’ll get healthy to participate in 2013.

And judging by his words during the lockout, it’s unlikely he’ll be back at all.

“I guess the road to recovery from [the knee injury] is quite long and arduous,” he explained. “So I don’t know, this is going to be my 12th surgery.

“I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body.”

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win!

Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT

HKN Lightning Oilers 20141020 AP

It finally happened and it happened with a late goal.

2. Video: Callahan (lower-body injury) leaves game against Oilers

Oct 20, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT

Ryan Callahan Getty Images

Caught Taylor Hall with a heavy hit earlier in the game.

3. Don Cherry: ‘Something’s gotta go’ in Edmonton

Oct 20, 2014, 11:07 PM EDT

Don Cherry Getty Images

Talking about the Oilers perhaps trading one of their young players.

4. Video: Callahan crunches Hall

Oct 20, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT

Ryan Callahan Getty Images

Heavy hit along the boards.

5. Canucks coach Desjardins on return to Dallas: ‘It means I want to win more’

Oct 20, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT

WillieDesjardins AP

That’s about as much trash talk as you’re going to get from Willie D.

6. Report: Drouin to make NHL debut against Oilers after all (Updated: It’s official)

Oct 20, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT

Jonathan Drouin AP

Alex Killorn is – again, this is based on same report – out of the lineup.

7. Leafs’ Biggs, mired in ECHL, ‘really felt the onus’ of being 1st-rounder

Oct 20, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT

Tyler Biggs Getty Images

“He’s got to go and maybe play out of the spotlight that we have here in Toronto.”

8. Coyotes concerned about Smith’s struggling psyche

Oct 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT

mikesmithgetty Getty Images

“I’ve played three games and it hasn’t gone even close to the way it needs to be.”

9. Maybe tomorrow? Drouin won’t play tonight versus Oilers

Oct 20, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT

Lightning Camp Hockey AP

Coach Cooper cites the long trip to Edmonton from Syracuse as reason to keep the rookie out against the Oilers.

10. Sabres to retire Hasek’s jersey on Jan. 13

Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT

Dominik Hasek AP

A fairly well-deserved honor.

11. Goalie nods: Big game for Scrivens vs. Bolts

Oct 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

EDMONTON, AB - JANUARY 24: Ben Scrivens #30 of the Edmonton Oilers in action against the Phoenix Coyotes during an NHL game at Rexall Place on January 24, 2014 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. (Photo by Derek Leung/Getty Images) Getty Images

News and notes from the blue paint…

12. Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight

Oct 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT

Miller

Matt Bartkowski expected to step in tomorrow versus San Jose.

13. Flames sign Brodie, who’s ‘going to be a big building block’ for team

Oct 20, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT

T.J. Brodie AP

Already has seven points in seven games this season.

14. Voynov arrest of ‘great concern’ to Kings, who support NHL’s suspension

Oct 20, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Los Angeles Kings Getty Images

Club addressed the domestic assault charges in a brief statement Monday.

Why are we talking about fighting... again?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches