Jan 15, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
The reason for that is simple: If Gomez sustains an injury that lasts through the summer, then he can’t be bought out. The Canadiens are already pushing against the cap and with it set to go down to $64.3 million in 2013-14, shedding Gomez’s $7,357,143 hit seems like their best option.
It might not be that simple though as the NHLPA is reviewing the situation, according to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie.
Why? Sports lawyer Eric Macramalla recently explained what might happen in an article for CBS Sports:
It would not be unreasonable for the NHLPA to grieve the expulsion of Gomez. Contract law obligations flow both ways. Part of that includes providing Gomez the reasonable opportunity to discharge the services he has been contracted to provide. In part, the NHLPA could argue sending home a perfectly healthy player with no off-ice issues simply with a view to preserving an amnesty buyout is not in keeping with the spirit of the contract. The NHLPA could say Gomez is being banished not because he failed to discharge his contractual obligations, but simply because of newly implemented system issues.
The union might also argue that forcing Gomez to miss the entire season will hurt his market value. The 33-year-old forward is coming off a horrendous season and the Canadiens’ decision will make it impossible for him to earn some sort of redemption before he enters the free agent market.
Gomez had two goals and 11 points in 38 games in 2011-12. He got some playing time with the ECHL Alaska Aces during the lockout and recorded six goals and 13 points in 11 contests.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
Pittsburgh and Ottawa need to win to survive.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:35 PM EDT
Evgeni Malkin finished the series without a point.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:14 PM EDT
Alexander Steen played a big role in that marker.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:57 PM EDT
Another 45 saves tonight.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
The odds of him playing were initially “50-50.”
Apr 24, 2015, 8:59 PM EDT
That tied Game 5 between Pittsburgh and the Rangers at 1-1.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:25 PM EDT
He won’t return tonight.
Apr 24, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
is that the start of a breakout for him?
Apr 24, 2015, 7:13 PM EDT
He had a strong season offensively.
Apr 24, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
The Canadiens goaltender looks like the heavy favorite.
Apr 24, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
His departure in Game 4 was cited as a turning point.
Apr 24, 2015, 4:16 PM EDT
“Lots of possibilities have been thrown out about an arena for the last decade and none of them have materialized.”
Apr 24, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
After allowing four goals in a Game 5 loss to Nashville.
Apr 24, 2015, 3:17 PM EDT
“In this business, you can’t be afraid to make trades.”
Apr 24, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Much like he did at the end of last year.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Game 6 goes tomorrow in Chicago.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Currently coaching Ottawa’s AHL affiliate in Binghamton.
Apr 24, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
Commish liked the chant to calling goalies “sieves”.
Apr 24, 2015, 1:43 PM EDT
Apparently, according to a report out of Austria.
Apr 24, 2015, 1:23 PM EDT
So no Derrick Pouliot, and no Beau Bennett.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 3
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 5
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)