Jan 15, 2013, 9:38 PM EDT
Time will tell if this is a feisty competition or a battle of lesser evils, but Columbus Blue Jackets head coach Todd Richards indicates that the No. 1 goalie job is up for grabs between Sergei Bobrovsky and Steve Mason.
“Right now, I don’t see much separation,” Richards said. “I think Bobrovsky having come in and played games (in the KHL), I expected a smoother transition and that’s exactly what we’ve got. With Steve, I wasn’t sure and to be quite honest with you I’m extremely pleased with what I’ve seen. He’s working very hard, and based on what we saw in the scrimmage today, I think both goaltenders played well.”
While Bobrovsky holds the advantage of more recent game experience, Mason reportedly came into training camp ready to fight for his job – and really, his career, since he’s in a contract year. Richards said Mason is about 15 lbs. lighter than his normal weight.
(Hopefully his pads are as big as they can legally be, though.)
It could be an interesting situation to watch, unless many critics are correct about the quality of one or both netminders. If that is indeed the case, this will be closer to a tragic comedy.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)