Jan 15, 2013, 9:38 PM EDT
Time will tell if this is a feisty competition or a battle of lesser evils, but Columbus Blue Jackets head coach Todd Richards indicates that the No. 1 goalie job is up for grabs between Sergei Bobrovsky and Steve Mason.
“Right now, I don’t see much separation,” Richards said. “I think Bobrovsky having come in and played games (in the KHL), I expected a smoother transition and that’s exactly what we’ve got. With Steve, I wasn’t sure and to be quite honest with you I’m extremely pleased with what I’ve seen. He’s working very hard, and based on what we saw in the scrimmage today, I think both goaltenders played well.”
While Bobrovsky holds the advantage of more recent game experience, Mason reportedly came into training camp ready to fight for his job – and really, his career, since he’s in a contract year. Richards said Mason is about 15 lbs. lighter than his normal weight.
(Hopefully his pads are as big as they can legally be, though.)
It could be an interesting situation to watch, unless many critics are correct about the quality of one or both netminders. If that is indeed the case, this will be closer to a tragic comedy.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)