Jan 15, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
The Florida Panthers and Dmitry Kulikov are still far apart on a contract extension.
That’s the word out of Sunrise on Tuesday as assistant GM Mike Santos told the Sun Sentinel the club isn’t close to a deal with the RFA defenseman, adding he hasn’t talked to Kulikov’s agent in 48 hours.
Kulikov, 22, is currently plying his trade with Lokomotiv Yaroslavl of the KHL (though he wasn’t in the lineup for today’s game vs. Severstal.) The Panthers tendered Kulikov a qualifying offer in late June but weren’t able to successfully negotiate a deal prior to the CBA expiring on Sept. 15.
On Sept. 25, Kulikov inked with Yaroslavl.
The 14th overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, Kulikov is a vital part of the Panthers’ blueline. He had four goals and 28 points in 58 games with Florida in 2011-12, averaging 21:51 minutes per contest and a healthy amount of ice time with the man advantage.
It should be noted that, because the Panthers tendered him a qualifying offer, Kulikov is still a restricted free agent. That means teams can submit an offer sheet to him at any time.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)