Jan 15, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
The Florida Panthers and Dmitry Kulikov are still far apart on a contract extension.
That’s the word out of Sunrise on Tuesday as assistant GM Mike Santos told the Sun Sentinel the club isn’t close to a deal with the RFA defenseman, adding he hasn’t talked to Kulikov’s agent in 48 hours.
Kulikov, 22, is currently plying his trade with Lokomotiv Yaroslavl of the KHL (though he wasn’t in the lineup for today’s game vs. Severstal.) The Panthers tendered Kulikov a qualifying offer in late June but weren’t able to successfully negotiate a deal prior to the CBA expiring on Sept. 15.
On Sept. 25, Kulikov inked with Yaroslavl.
The 14th overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, Kulikov is a vital part of the Panthers’ blueline. He had four goals and 28 points in 58 games with Florida in 2011-12, averaging 21:51 minutes per contest and a healthy amount of ice time with the man advantage.
It should be noted that, because the Panthers tendered him a qualifying offer, Kulikov is still a restricted free agent. That means teams can submit an offer sheet to him at any time.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 2
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)