Jan 15, 2013, 7:18 PM EDT
Call it a formality* if you’d like, but the New York Islanders announced on Tuesday that they suspended Josh Bailey and Jesse Joensuu for injuries they sustained during overseas play. Those suspensions are expected to be lifted once they pass physicals.
The Florida Panthers have done something similar with their players who were injured during lockout competition, as both Erik Gudbranson and Marcel Goc are currently in similar predicaments.
Bailey is likely the bigger loss of the two, especially when you consider his strong end to last season (where he scored 17 of his 32 points in his last 19 games). Newsday’s Arthur Staple reports that he had his knee scoped last Wednesday, sidelining him for two weeks to a month.
Joensuu’s dealing with a groin injury, which currently lands him the vague day-to-day label, according to Staple.
Even Bailey isn’t a make-or-break guy for the Isles, yet it would help to have him (and a certain flighty offensive defenseman) if the team wants to catch some people by surprise in a shortened season.
* – On the other hand, some label it a “penny-pinching” move. You can say that things are a little tense in Long Island these days.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Mar 27, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 27, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
26-15-5 in their last 46 games.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Washington sophomore now $2,000 lighter in the pocket.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Vancouver laid another egg last night versus the Avs.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
Because things aren’t trending in a good direction for him.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Three straight road wins has the Kings looking postseason-bound.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:12 AM EDT
“We’re on the course that we set two months ago when we made the decision that Ells was going to be the guy, and we’re not changing that course.”
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Red Wings host the Sharks tomorrow.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
Russian sophomore has missed nearly the entire season with a hip ailment.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He’s been assigned to Hershey on a conditioning assignment.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Changes to the bylaws allow the Philly defenseman to be inducted.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
The group is nearing its goal of securing 10,000 season ticket deposits.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Winnipeg grabbed a big win today, too.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
A tough win turned into a bitter OT loss.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Will anyone else join them tonight?
Mar 26, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
The real winners might be the Edmonton Oilers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Not a great night for Ottawa.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Update your save of the year highlight packages.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 0
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 28
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 50
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)