Jan 15, 2013, 7:18 PM EDT
Call it a formality* if you’d like, but the New York Islanders announced on Tuesday that they suspended Josh Bailey and Jesse Joensuu for injuries they sustained during overseas play. Those suspensions are expected to be lifted once they pass physicals.
The Florida Panthers have done something similar with their players who were injured during lockout competition, as both Erik Gudbranson and Marcel Goc are currently in similar predicaments.
Bailey is likely the bigger loss of the two, especially when you consider his strong end to last season (where he scored 17 of his 32 points in his last 19 games). Newsday’s Arthur Staple reports that he had his knee scoped last Wednesday, sidelining him for two weeks to a month.
Joensuu’s dealing with a groin injury, which currently lands him the vague day-to-day label, according to Staple.
Even Bailey isn’t a make-or-break guy for the Isles, yet it would help to have him (and a certain flighty offensive defenseman) if the team wants to catch some people by surprise in a shortened season.
* – On the other hand, some label it a “penny-pinching” move. You can say that things are a little tense in Long Island these days.
Apr 19, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
He’s aiming to return for Game 3 on Tuesday.
Apr 19, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
He avoided a suspension for the act.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT
Hes been out since April 3.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:42 PM EDT
A fine may be in his future.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT
He missed Game 2 with an injury.
Apr 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Pulling the goalie with three minutes went over very well.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Holding a lead is hard to do in the playoffs.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:57 AM EDT
“We should have been 5-on-3.”
Apr 19, 2014, 1:29 AM EDT
Ryan Getzlaf, Frederik Andersen and Corey Perry “are winning that battle,” he said.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:56 AM EDT
Eventful last few days for the captain.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
“It was one individual effort that made the difference today.”
Apr 18, 2014, 11:14 PM EDT
Apr 18, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Bolts just needed a spark, he explained.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:27 PM EDT
There was no penalty on the play.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Jimmy Howard had a shutout in the goaltending duel.
Apr 18, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Can Dallas build on its late-game momentum?
Apr 18, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Game 3 will be played in Montreal.
Apr 18, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
Naturally, the Blackhawks-Blues triple-overtime game was very popular.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:51 PM EDT
Detroit was near the bottom of the pack in hits in the regular season.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
They took a 1-0 lead over Tampa Bay in the process.
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 0
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 11
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 6
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 55
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13