Jan 15, 2013, 7:18 PM EDT
Call it a formality* if you’d like, but the New York Islanders announced on Tuesday that they suspended Josh Bailey and Jesse Joensuu for injuries they sustained during overseas play. Those suspensions are expected to be lifted once they pass physicals.
The Florida Panthers have done something similar with their players who were injured during lockout competition, as both Erik Gudbranson and Marcel Goc are currently in similar predicaments.
Bailey is likely the bigger loss of the two, especially when you consider his strong end to last season (where he scored 17 of his 32 points in his last 19 games). Newsday’s Arthur Staple reports that he had his knee scoped last Wednesday, sidelining him for two weeks to a month.
Joensuu’s dealing with a groin injury, which currently lands him the vague day-to-day label, according to Staple.
Even Bailey isn’t a make-or-break guy for the Isles, yet it would help to have him (and a certain flighty offensive defenseman) if the team wants to catch some people by surprise in a shortened season.
* – On the other hand, some label it a “penny-pinching” move. You can say that things are a little tense in Long Island these days.
Jul 7, 2015, 9:11 PM EDT
At one time he was regarded as a contender to be the Buffalo Sabres’ new bench boss.
Jul 7, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
Both contracts are two-ways.
Jul 7, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
That might take a while.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:19 PM EDT
The doctor, Kozlov, allegedly has a suspected head injury.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:07 PM EDT
Backes and Schwartz have one season left on their contracts.
Jul 7, 2015, 2:38 PM EDT
Was most recently an assistant under Randy Carlyle in Toronto.
Jul 7, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT
Coming off a 37-goal season.
Jul 7, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT
“He’s a reliable depth forward who we know is capable of contributing offensively at either level.”
Jul 7, 2015, 12:41 PM EDT
It’s been a long negotiation.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Stepped in to play the final four games of the Stanley Cup Final.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:41 AM EDT
Milwaukee is trying to get a new arena built.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
Jarmo Kekalainen brings a local boy into the organization.
Jul 7, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
“He’s obviously a great talent.”
Jul 7, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
In ESPN’s The Body Issue, of course.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:22 PM EDT
“It happened pretty fast. All of a sudden two fingers are not working.”
Jul 6, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
25-year-old defenseman struggled mightily last season.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
Connor McDavid’s running mate in Erie was the OHL’s leading scorer last season.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
Quebec City and Las Vegas have already expressed interest.
Jul 6, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Russian forward is coming off a solid rookie campaign.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:48 PM EDT
It’s now a crowded crease in Edmonton.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 74
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)