Jan 15, 2013, 7:18 PM EST
Call it a formality* if you’d like, but the New York Islanders announced on Tuesday that they suspended Josh Bailey and Jesse Joensuu for injuries they sustained during overseas play. Those suspensions are expected to be lifted once they pass physicals.
The Florida Panthers have done something similar with their players who were injured during lockout competition, as both Erik Gudbranson and Marcel Goc are currently in similar predicaments.
Bailey is likely the bigger loss of the two, especially when you consider his strong end to last season (where he scored 17 of his 32 points in his last 19 games). Newsday’s Arthur Staple reports that he had his knee scoped last Wednesday, sidelining him for two weeks to a month.
Joensuu’s dealing with a groin injury, which currently lands him the vague day-to-day label, according to Staple.
Even Bailey isn’t a make-or-break guy for the Isles, yet it would help to have him (and a certain flighty offensive defenseman) if the team wants to catch some people by surprise in a shortened season.
* – On the other hand, some label it a “penny-pinching” move. You can say that things are a little tense in Long Island these days.
Dec 19, 2014, 8:06 PM EST
One for the highlight reel (unless you’re Nabokov).
Dec 19, 2014, 7:43 PM EST
It’s been 2,599 days since that last happened.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:47 PM EST
Let’s hope it’s just that type of illness …
Dec 19, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
It’s almost starting to feel like he has mutant powers.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:28 PM EST
They recalled Alexander Wennberg and Cody Goloubef.
Dec 19, 2014, 5:07 PM EST
Is under going an MRI today.
Dec 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
“As a family, we are thrilled that Dad’s quality of life has greatly improved, and his progress has exceeded our greatest expectations.”
Dec 19, 2014, 4:34 PM EST
Bring on the trade speculation.
Dec 19, 2014, 4:10 PM EST
32-year-old has played in 56 career NHL contests.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:37 PM EST
“Where’s the Tylenol?”
Dec 19, 2014, 3:21 PM EST
Off to the Marlies he goes.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:03 PM EST
Jeff Schultz has been called up from AHL Manchester.
Dec 19, 2014, 2:54 PM EST
“This is a great honor and opportunity for Mirco to represent his country,”
Dec 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EST
That said, might he make sense for the Bruins?
Dec 19, 2014, 2:12 PM EST
Henrik Lundqvist’s No. 2 returns for another year.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:37 PM EST
Montreal’s leading scorer was hit hard by Anaheim’s Clayton Stoner.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:41 PM EST
The Wild are getting frustrated.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:24 PM EST
Initial reports don’t sound good.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:06 PM EST
Appeared in just two games this season before re-aggravating an existing issue.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:27 AM EST
The Caps’ struggles with depth down the middle are well documented…
- Stomach flu makes Lightning’s Johnson a surprise scratch 0
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 6
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 8
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 11
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 33
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2