Jan 15, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
Today, Hickey’s time with Los Angeles came to an end as the New York Islanders announced they claimed the 23-year-old rearguard off waivers.
The captain of Canada’s gold medal-winning Junior team from 2009, Hickey has yet to make good on the promise that made him the first defenseman drafted in ’07 (ahead of Karl Alzner, Ryan McDonagh and Kevin Shattenkirk.)
He’s also yet to make his NHL debut, having spent the last four-plus seasons playing for AHL Manchester.
Injuries (ankle, shoulder) and a deep Kings blueline have played their part in Hickey not making the NHL jump. He, along with 2008 first-rounder Colten Teubert, always seemed to be stuck on a low rung of the organizational ladder (Teubert was flipped to Edmonton in the Dustin Penner trade of 2011.)
That said, Hickey should have a slightly better shot of making the Isles roster. They’re still without the services of Lubomir Visnovsky, leaving them with a crew of Mark Streit, Matt Carkner, Travis Hamonic, Matt Donovan, Ty Wishart, Radek Martinek and Andrew MacDonald on the blueline.
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 53
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 38
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)