Jan 15, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
Flyers owner Ed Snider still believes in Ilya Bryzgalov.
“We’re in good shape in goal,” Snider said today, per CSNPhilly.com. “I have a lot of faith in Bryzgalov. I think he’ll do a real good job for us.
“A lot of his problems had to do with the different style we played as opposed to Phoenix. I really believe we will tighten up a bit and help him out. I think he is a damn good goalie.”
Snider is intimately involved with his team’s hockey operations, so if he says the Flyers will “tighten up a bit” defensively, that’s probably what they’ll try to do.
He also may take comfort in Bryzgalov’s post All-Star Game numbers (.929 SV% with five shutouts) compared to the ones prior to Jan. 29 (.895 SV%).
Still, it’s hard to overlook what happened in the playoffs when the goalie with eight years remaining on a $51 million contract allowed 37 goals in 11 games.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4