Flyers owner on Bryzgalov: “I think he is a damn good goalie”

Jan 15, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT

Ilya Bryzgalov AP

Flyers owner Ed Snider still believes in Ilya Bryzgalov.

“We’re in good shape in goal,” Snider said today, per CSNPhilly.com. “I have a lot of faith in Bryzgalov. I think he’ll do a real good job for us.

“A lot of his problems had to do with the different style we played as opposed to Phoenix. I really believe we will tighten up a bit and help him out. I think he is a damn good goalie.”

Snider is intimately involved with his team’s hockey operations, so if he says the Flyers will “tighten up a bit” defensively, that’s probably what they’ll try to do.

He also may take comfort in Bryzgalov’s post All-Star Game numbers (.929 SV% with five shutouts) compared to the ones prior to Jan. 29 (.895 SV%).

Still, it’s hard to overlook what happened in the playoffs when the goalie with eight years remaining on a $51 million contract allowed 37 goals in 11 games.

Related: Can the Flyers keep the puck out of their net?

1. crosberries - Jan 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Sending out positive vibes into the humagnous universe

2. nach0mancandysandwich - Jan 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM

That makes one person who thinks that. HEYO!!!

• irritatingjoseph - Jan 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM

howdy

• nach0mancandysandwich - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Bahahahahaha

3. nach0mancandysandwich - Jan 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM

JEEEEEZE 37 GOALS IN 11 GAMES!!! That’s staggering.

4. steelpenbucs87 - Jan 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Bryz has the talent but lacked consistency last year. If it’s first half Bryz the Flyers may be in trouble early given some of the injuries on Defense. If it’s second half Bryz they shouldn’t have an issue competing with the goals they’ll score.

It should be noted that the exact same thing can be said about my Pens if you substitute Fleury for Bryz, Pens for Flyers, and flip-flop the parts about first and second halves.

5. broadstbully33 - Jan 15, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Lol pens trolls right off the bat… Sad.
    Bankruptcy x2
    Relocation threats
    A storied franchise Pitt is

• sportsfreak13 - Jan 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Pittsburgh Population 250,000. Philadelphia 2.5 million. Pittsburgh stanley cups 3, Philadelphia 2. Last cup in Pittsburgh 2009, Last cup in Philly 1975. Bet hey giroux won the cover of NHL 13 so theres that. I love how flyer fans also say giroux is the best player in the world too. Giroux age 25 has 288 points(regular season + playoffs) in his career. Crosby age 25 has 699 in his career (regular season + playoffs). A storied franchise Phil is.

• irritatingjoseph - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Giroux showed a huge chink in the armor taunting Pen fans. #weakmentalmakeup.

• miketoasty - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Hey they do have the 70’s where they were basically a team full of goons. I guess that makes them a little bit of a “Storied” franchise.

• phillyphanatic77 - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Crosby was also the number one pick in the draft and started as an 18 year old. Giroux was picked #22 and was a total gem. It’s easy to get picks right when you’re picking in the top 5 every year. Ryan Whitney #5, MA Fleury #1, Malkin #2, Crosby #1, and Staal #2. Flyers have built consistent contenders by picking in the 20s every year. They didn’t have to suck for half a decade to contend. Giroux has reached Crosbys level against all odds.

• nach0mancandysandwich - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Both team captains have showed a lack of fortitude in the past. Lets face it. They have probably had everything handed to them since they were children. Real captains are forged through adversity not through handouts.

• ryanrockzzz - Jan 16, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I’m a Delaware guy (Flyers fan), but I can’t help and say you have a point.

• miketoasty - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:01 PM

You are an idiot. The only “Pens” fan posted saying that his goalie is in the same position. How the hell does that make someone a troll? You Flyers fans are so jealous of Pens fans you will jump on any chance to make a jab at them.

• kitshky - Jan 15, 2013 at 6:23 PM

@broadstbully33

I wouldn’t consider that first comment a troll remark, yours on the other hand …

• isithockeyseasonyet - Jan 15, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Nobody is jealous of pens fans besides having the 2 best players in the world handed to them, I’m jealous that my team didn’t have the top pick when malkin and crosby were available. You seem just as quick to jump on flyers fans, you seem to have a case of not realizing youre the pot calling the kettle black. Plus, you’re posting on a flyers page so what does that say? And before anybody says flyers fans do the same, let me give you my response so I don’t need to come back, “exactly”

• kitshky - Jan 15, 2013 at 7:39 PM

ummm … @isithockeyseasonyet

1 – I’m not a Pens fan, nor was I jumping on Flyers fans. I was simply directing a comment at ‘broadstbully33′ in particular, in reference to his comment that was directed at another commenter.

2 – This isn’t a “Flyers page” it’s just an article about NHL hockey and one of the teams that make up the league.

3 – Please don’t involve me in the paranoid, hysterical, and immature screaming matches that are “conversations” between Flyers and Penguins fans.

• badintent - Jan 16, 2013 at 12:38 AM

@kitshy
        Considering how lousy both their football AND baseball teams are, it quite understandable both Pens and Philly fans are in a manic depressive state from fall to the next year’s fall. Add in the lousy weather and it’s clear they both have a catus trunk up their anus.They can only wet dream about going 9-7 NFL like the Gmen.

• mp1131211 - Jan 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Look, I like watching double digit scoring hockey games, too, but basically both of your teams are in the spotlight because we all want to see what will happen next between both of your goons, not because your teams are good.

6. mp1131211 - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Gamecenter, Ed. Open your tight wad, buy it, and watch the replays. Sieve-galov needs to shut hit five hole and focus.

7. thecheeman - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I’ll never forget where I was for this moment as long as I live.

8. thecheeman - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:15 PM

or PHT version (with an awful ad):

9. broadstbully33 - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:23 PM

At least we didn’t go bankrupt 2x cuz fans don’t show up for years then Cindy appears and now Pitt thinks they are hockey fans… Storied franchise

• sportsfreak13 - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Aww look at you repeating yourself because you don’t have any new comebacks. It’s kinda sad. I guess you missed my population stat but no worries your brain probably can’t comprehend why that number would be important. I feel bad picking on the less intelligent so cheers. Can’t wait till Saturday!

10. chrisvegas - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM

What else is he going to say? The Flyers will let Bryz prove himself this year. If he has a bad year they will buy him out and be done with it.

11. nach0mancandysandwich - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Lets face it both of the PA franchises suck. Each team has a false sense of entitlement. Every team makes bad choices, every team goes through lulls but real franchises have fans that back them through the bad times. Each team and each city has shown in the past to be fairweather fans.

• tcclark - Jan 15, 2013 at 8:07 PM

It’s really easy to call a team’s fans “fair weather fans” when there is nothing but fair weather. The Flyers have missed the playoffs 8 times in 44 years and have only missed the playoffs once since 1994. And during that year, the last placed Flyers finished 7th in the NHL in average attendance – 11 spots ahead of Pittsburgh who had 105 points that year. How again has Philly shown to be fair weather fans?

• tcclark - Jan 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM

and just to add, even in the worst 5 year period in Flyers history, when they missed the playoffs 5 consecutive years their average attendance ranking was 4th (89-90), 4th (90-91), 5th (91-92), 5th (92-93), 7th (93-94)

12. zetaone - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM

And here I thought Habs and Leafs fans hated each other…

13. broadstbully33 - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM

When did Philly ever show fair weather? Was that in 2006 when we were the worst team in league and missed they playoffs for the first time in 14 years and still had one of the leagues highest attendance rates? Dumbass

• nach0mancandysandwich - Jan 15, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Maybe turn coats would be the better term? You love your teams until they end up losing (which happens almost all the time) and then you turn on them. It’s what Philly does in all sports. Don’t kid yourself. I live in PA I listen to 610 it’s disgusting when one of your teams lose. I turn on Comcast when any of your teams lose and laugh at your suicidal commentator’s.

• melonheadsdaddy - Jan 15, 2013 at 7:17 PM

False. You sound stupid. No one listens to 610 anymore..

• nach0mancandysandwich - Jan 15, 2013 at 9:39 PM

@melonheadsdaddy: ok maybe no one listens to it anymore because it turned to CBS radio a few weeks ago or whatever. But why am I wrong? You base your argument on me sounding stupid (which I don’t you just don’t like my fact based opinion), and that no one listens to a station anymore. What about the fact that you turn on your teams the second there’s any problem? What about the fact that your towns greatest sports hero is fictional? Philly is nothing but a bunch of loud mouth Monday morning quarterbacks. Have fun being miserable sports fans.

14. bricktop02 - Jan 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Who did the flyers beat in the first round of the playoffs last year?

• sportsfreak13 - Jan 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM

The same team that eliminated them in 08 and 09. The difference in 09 pens won it all.

15. johnstone17 - Jan 15, 2013 at 6:12 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

16. bigbadbruins77 - Jan 15, 2013 at 6:27 PM

well I think he sucks, and I think the Bruins are going to light him up again this year. Won like what the passed 7/8, with the only loss coming at the first game of the stanley cup hangover. See you soon flyers ;) Can’t wait!

17. flyers22 - Jan 15, 2013 at 6:42 PM

bryz is a solid goalie yes he had a very inconsistent year last year but towards the end of the year he played great. The penguins series was just unreal both goalies had no confidence they were both letting in weak goals and on top of that you have two teams loaded with offense scoring at will its just the way it went. I also wouldnt worry about the flyers defense at all kimmo may only have a year left but after that you have coburn grossmann meszaros who are all 27 right in there prime and then luke schenn who is only 23 who i think is going to have a great year playing with his brother i mean that right there is a very solid top 4 for years to come, there are not many teams around the league who have a better top 4 then that at least on paper. Gotta love the philly pitt rivalry no doubt the best in the NHL. LETS GO FLYERS

18. hawkeyplayer - Jan 15, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Bryzaster is his name. get it right.

da Bears!!!! arrgghhhh!

19. Stiller43 - Jan 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM

@ Jason Brough

I believe my app doesnt show every story you guys post on pht, so sorry for my ignorance…but if anyone was wondering about center ice, the pitt trib review says CI will cost $49.99…free from jan 19-31st.

20. buffalomafia - Jan 15, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Not this Sunday when the Sabres open up a can of whoop ass on them!

• jimw81 - Jan 15, 2013 at 9:06 PM

how many years did we hear that sabres were going to be a powerhouse in east?

21. killerpgh - Jan 15, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I hate the Flyers, but I still think the Bryz signing will work out for them. He nas been a top 10 caliber NHL goalie thoughtout hos career. It’s not uncommon for a player to struggle the first year in a new city and then turn it around.

22. mattyo99 - Jan 15, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Giroux got a handout!!!!? Are u retarted..that guy works hard on the ice every night

• nach0mancandysandwich - Jan 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Way to use the word retard. You jerk.

23. steelers88 - Jan 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Stanley Cups
    Pens 3 Flyers 2
    World Series
    Pirates 5 Phillies 2
    Superbowls
    Steelers 6 Eagles 0
    Sorry Philly fans Pittsburgh beats you in about everything!

• jimw81 - Jan 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM

atleast philly fans don’t bail on their teams when they don’t make it to the playoffs like stilliers fans did this year.

• sportsfreak13 - Jan 15, 2013 at 10:18 PM

No you bail on your team mid season when you realize the playoffs are already out of reach.

24. jimw81 - Jan 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM

wearing the ‘c’ is one of the most overrated things in hockey besides the +/- stat.

• woodstakes - Jan 16, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Sounds like someone has a team with a crappy captain… those teams out there who have good captains can probably explain to you why your statement is just plain wrong!

25. digbysellers - Jan 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM

This just in…crazy old coot says something stupid.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches